Question about Images and Statues

• Thread starter Thread starter probpt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

probpt

do you have to have an image or statue of a particular saint that you are praying to?

40.png
probpt:
do you have to have an image or statue of a particular saint that you are praying to?
You don’t need to have either an image or a statue, although sometimes those things help put us in mind of the Saint to whom we’re praying.

I have the crucifix to pray before and have images of Little Flower (one of which I carved) and Our Lady on my dresser. My evening prayers are done in their presence.

My all time image choice for prayer is the Holy face photographed from the Shroud. I love to pray while meditating on the Holy Face.

Remember that when we are praying to the saints, we are talking with them and asking them for their prayers and intercessions, we are not worshipping them.

So it is sometimes helpful to have an image in our minds or a picture we can look at, just as it might be if we are writing a letter or making a phone call to a loved one and we have their picture in front of us.

When I am praying and worshipping Our Lord, I also find it helpful to have an image in my mind or before my eyes. My favorites are the Divine Mercy image of Jesus, the crucifix, and the Holy Face image from the Shroud.

Sometimes when I pray the Rosary, I imagine myself sitting at the feet of Mary with my head in her lap, as we pray together to Our Lord Jesus standing before us.

I have a small statue of St. Rita, my patroness, which I sometimes hold and look at when I pray to her for intercession for my family. I love the feeling of having her around, seeing her throughout the day. Feels like she’s looking out for me. 🙂

We have a crucifix in almost every room. That is usually what I kneel before in prayer.

Thanks for your replies guys. i just wanted to share this experience. I’ve been praying the Novena to St. Therese and I asked her to send me a sign or a rose that what I am praying for would eventually be granted. Yesterday morning when i woke up, I found a statue of St. Therese, with little roses on her dress and a book on St. Therese with a picture of a rose on the cover. So I asked my mom who gave it, she said that my grandmother bought it for me. I asked my grandmother the other day to buy me a statute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, but she got me the statue of St. Therese. It makes me feel wonderful knowing that the Little Flower is listening to my prayers and interceding for me to God. 🙂

40.png
probpt:
I don’t really pray to saints. I usually ask them to pray for me.

40.png
Ignatius:
I don’t really pray to saints. I usually ask them to pray for me.
You might be interested to know that it’s actually the same thing. The Old English “pray” means to petition, not to worship. When we say “pray to the saints” we mean petition them to pray for us. 🙂

surf(name removed by moderator)ure:
You might be interested to know that it’s actually the same thing. The Old English “pray” means to petition, not to worship. When we say “pray to the saints” we mean petition them to pray for us. 🙂
Yes, unfortunately many many people only know the modernist meaning of worship and it is a source of confusion to them to use this term when we know they are unaware of what you are saying. Do we really want to confuse those who may be seeking the Truth?

40.png
Ignatius:
Yes, unfortunately many many people only know the modernist meaning of worship and it is a source of confusion to them to use this term when we know they are unaware of what you are saying. Do we really want to confuse those who may be seeking the Truth?
No, I want to educate those who are seeking the Truth! 😉

When i pray, i am not very in tune unless i am alone or not distracted. Funny, with so busy and little kids, the quietest is in the bathtub. Not saying that this is the only place…for sure, but those moments have all been very touching. No one can see me cry or let my guard down…so i am more at ease and honest.

If i need Jesus to hold me or comfort me, i place myself in the garden. Kneeling and desperately lonely for his love to help me through something. He comes to meet me there and a beautiful sense of love, acceptance fills me. As little and insignificant that i feel, he makes me feel important to him. He really cares and in no way am i a number because he is glad that i came to see him!

My imagination, some music…like “The Garden”, a candle and a box of kleenex…yep, that is a good prayer sesion for me because i let my friendship with him simply happen. They are not repetitive or memorized…as he is my friend. I am his child…he is my parent, to be close to him, i spend time with him, so our relationship is not astranged. A friendship takes work and effort, and it grows.

Imagin if you never spoke to your spouse for a year, yet he was around! God feels as lost as that spouse when we are too busy for him. Make the time, and it will grow daily…soon you will live for these moments…and this is what our hearts desire.

Happy moments in prayer, i pray!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back