B
backtocatholic
Guest
Hi,
I am new to the forum. I just came back to the church 1 year ago. I am really delighted to have rejoined the church and have become active an a prayer group and am gaining a lot spiritually from it.
One problem I have is discerning the difference between venial and mortal sin.
I understand the 3 conditions necessary for mortal sin, but its the application of them that I have difficulty with. I’ve seen varying opinions on the forum about how easy/difficult it is to commit a mortal sin and I am totally confused about the issue.
One problem I have difficulty with is in the case of any immoral thoughts, do you have to know at the time of thinking the thought that it is grave matter (i.e. reflect on the fact that continuing the thought would be a mortal sin) , or would a situation where it would be common sense to know that such a thought is grave matter, but you didn’t reflect on this fact at the time of actually thinking the thought, be considered a mortal sin. The key question here is “do you have to reflect AT THE TIME you are having the thought that it is a mortal sin”.
Also, to fulfill the 3 conditions, do you have to know that it is grave matter, or simply know that it is sinful?
Thanks
I am new to the forum. I just came back to the church 1 year ago. I am really delighted to have rejoined the church and have become active an a prayer group and am gaining a lot spiritually from it.
One problem I have is discerning the difference between venial and mortal sin.
I understand the 3 conditions necessary for mortal sin, but its the application of them that I have difficulty with. I’ve seen varying opinions on the forum about how easy/difficult it is to commit a mortal sin and I am totally confused about the issue.
One problem I have difficulty with is in the case of any immoral thoughts, do you have to know at the time of thinking the thought that it is grave matter (i.e. reflect on the fact that continuing the thought would be a mortal sin) , or would a situation where it would be common sense to know that such a thought is grave matter, but you didn’t reflect on this fact at the time of actually thinking the thought, be considered a mortal sin. The key question here is “do you have to reflect AT THE TIME you are having the thought that it is a mortal sin”.
Also, to fulfill the 3 conditions, do you have to know that it is grave matter, or simply know that it is sinful?
Thanks