Question About Old Testament Free Will

• Thread starter Thread starter Nonzi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nonzi

How does free will correspond with verses such as Proverbs 21:1 “A king’s heart is like channeled water in the Lord’s hand: He directs it wherever he chooses.” and Exodus 10:20 “But the Lord hardened Pharaohs heart, and he did not let the Israelites go.”

Do these verses imply God controlling a person’s actions?

How does free will correspond with verses such as Proverbs 21:1 “A king’s heart is like channeled water in the Lord’s hand: He directs it wherever he chooses.” and Exodus 10:20 “But the Lord hardened Pharaohs heart, and he did not let the Israelites go.”

Do these verses imply God controlling a person’s actions?
No. The Holy Trinity knows what choices will be made by all (in each person’s timeframe).

Catechism of the Catholic Church
303 The witness of Scripture is unanimous that the solicitude of divine providence is concrete and immediate; God cares for all, from the least things to the great events of the world and its history. The sacred books powerfully affirm God’s absolute sovereignty over the course of events: "Our God is in the heavens; he does whatever he pleases."162 …
Genesis 45
4 Then Joseph said to his brothers, “Come closer to me.” And they came closer. He said, “I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt. 5 And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God sent me before you to preserve life. 6 For the famine has been in the land these two years; and there are five more years in which there will be neither plowing nor harvest. 7 God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant on earth, and to keep alive for you many survivors. 8 So it was not you who sent me here, but God; he has made me a father to Pharaoh, and lord of all his house and ruler over all the land of Egypt.

Last edited:
Proverbs 21:1 “A king’s heart is like channeled water in the Lord’s hand: He directs it wherever he chooses.”
Could be implying that when we surrender to God’s will and believe in Him, He encourages and prompts us to act in the right way with His Holy Spirit. Also, because God is always good, he would never “make” this king sin or be condemned, so when God urges him to act in a certain way, it will benefit the king anyway.

Also: A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
Exodus 10:20 “But the Lord hardened Pharaohs heart, and he did not let the Israelites go.”
Pharaoh’s heart was already set to not believe in God. But God “hardened his heart” (influenced him to not let Moses go yet) to better display God’s sovereignty and might. God did not make Pharaoh disbelieve in Him when he otherwise would have believed and been saved. God simply reaffirmed his set choices and used Pharaoh’s evil to bring good. Just like God used Pilate’s evil to bring good when Pilate condemned Jesus. And God used Judas’s betrayal for good. And God spoke through Caiaphas to prophesy about Jesus’s atonement for our sins, even though Caiaphas was against Jesus and wanted to kill him.

“Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, “You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish.” He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one.” (John 11:49-52)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back