Question about praying.

• Thread starter Thread starter Stac4Grace
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stac4Grace

My husband and I have always prayed but not together. He has recently asked me to start praying with him. I have no problem with that except he wants me to say a prayer out loud for him and he’ll do the same for me. I have never been able to just make something up as I go along. I always just read prayers from a prayer book. My husband thinks this will be good for us to do spititually, which he is probably right, I am just not sure how to go about doing it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I know this probably isn’t what your husband had in mind, but how about composing a prayer beforehand, in your head? That way you will have some idea what will be said, and at the time you pray it, you may decide to add or subtract something from it.

Prayer for Fathers (edited to make it more personal)
St. Joseph, guardian of Jesus and chaste husband of Mary, you passed your life in loving fulfillment of duty. You supported the holy family of Nazareth with the work of your hands. Kindly protect us who trustingly come to you.

You know my husband’s (or his name) aspirations, hardships, and hopes. He looks to you because he knows you will understand and protect him and us. You too knew trial, labor and weariness. But amid the worries of material life your soul was full of deep peace and sang out in true joy through intimacy with God’s Son entrusted to you and with Mary, his tender Mother. Assure my husband (or his name), whom you protect that he does not labor alone. Teach him to find Jesus near and to watch over us faithfully as you did the Holy Family. Amen.

Your husband wants to pray together?..if mine asked me that, first I would faint:eek: , then I would get up, brush myself off, get on my knees and say " Praise the Lord":bowdown2:

Since we were engaged, my wife and have enjoyed praying together Morning and Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours (the Divine Office) - the official prayer of the Church. In a sense, it’s like praying the Bible together - you both might like it!

40.png
Della:
St. Joseph, guardian of Jesus and chaste husband of Mary, you passed your life in loving fulfillment of duty. You supported the holy family of Nazareth with the work of your hands. Kindly protect us who trustingly come to you.

You know my husband’s (or his name) aspirations, hardships, and hopes. He looks to you because he knows you will understand and protect him and us. You too knew trial, labor and weariness. But amid the worries of material life your soul was full of deep peace and sang out in true joy through intimacy with God’s Son entrusted to you and with Mary, his tender Mother. Assure my husband (or his name), whom you protect that he does not labor alone. Teach him to find Jesus near and to watch over us faithfully as you did the Holy Family. Amen.
Excellent suggestion Della!!! You da best!!!

40.png
kayla:
Your husband wants to pray together?..if mine asked me that, first I would faint:eek: , then I would get up, brush myself off, get on my knees and say " Praise the Lord":bowdown2:
:rotfl:

40.png
Della:

That is wonderful. Thank you so much!🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back