Question about Rude Jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter jcaus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jcaus

Guest
Hi guys. Longtime reader and first-time poster here with just a quick question.

So tonight my dad and me were watching a TV show where people sent in jokes/comments to make fun of and roast one of the panellists. One of the jokes was fairly rude and implied that the panellist had been involved in gay activities. I didn’t find it funny but my dad was laughing. He said that was pretty clever (or something like that) and I agreed with him, but without any conviction. It was almost like my response slipped out although I probably willed it slightly knowing better.

I didn’t want to seem like a prude in front of my dad because sometimes he can have a go at me for that. I was smiling from the previous comment, said “yeah” to him, and just kind of moved on to avoid any argument or scrutiny. I don’t think this would be grave matter, maybe not even venial, but I wasn’t sure and just wanted to get some thoughts if that was alright? I’ve dealt with scruples in the past and I’ve been trying real hard of late to work through that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God bless
 
It’s not a sin to laugh at a joke. Be at peace.
 
Last edited:
I have similar problems trying to fit in at times. How much to pretend things you don’t believe, in order to get along socially without a lot of friction? Don’t really want to imply criticism of other people all the time.
 
Last edited:
Maybe you could have thrown in the Seinfeld quote “not that there’s anything wrong with that!”
 
Humor can be good and beautiful; it can also be morally dangerous: it can be thrown like a dagger at the heart, with a mask of a smile or a laugh to disguise its intent. I often want to run for the door, when people start to tell a joke, because I never know what is coming or where it is going.
 
Telling crude jokes isn’t tasteful and actually isn’t very skilful 🤔
It’s sad that so many comedians have to fall back on crudity,to me it just proves there’s a lack of intelligence trying to appeal to a sordid sense of humour.We are either going forward…or backwards.
 
Last edited:
Your first clue is in the headline. Being rude by telling rude jokes is not civil, as in not civilized. I watched over many years as the media slowly, gradually became more rude and crude. There was no reason for that.
 
From someone who like to make jokes about disabilities, races, religions, politics and things like the Holocaust or terrorist attacks: Before making fun of others, you have to learn (and accept) to make fun of yourself.
You can joke or laugh about awful things while still being respectful. It’s only a matter of common sense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top