Z
zab
Guest
Do you have a reference for that?Even if there is only one priest, and even if your one priest has more than one parish, it is still absolutely forbidden. .
Do you have a reference for that?Even if there is only one priest, and even if your one priest has more than one parish, it is still absolutely forbidden. .
Oh, I understand!I wish that would take care of things for me, but my parish serves an extremely large hospital that has many separate buildings and it takes me a minimum of 3 hours (usually more like 4 hours) to see to all the Catholic patients. That’s a very long time to hold it in!
The nursing home in our parish is also spread out over several buildings and floors depending on the level of care, and I drink a cup of coffee there on Sunday mornings after Mass or else I’ll get one of those caffeine-deprivation headaches. And we know what coffee means! It means I’ll be in the ladies’ room at least once on my visit.
And we won’t even discuss the needs during the “Time of the Month” . . .![]()
EMHCs are not required to leave before the end of Mass. We do get our pyx filled after distribution of communion, but we stay until the final blessing. We are then trained to leave the church without stopping to chat, drink coffee, etc. and go directly to distribute communion as we are assigned.Because by then the Hosts have been put away, and the priest is gone, and the EMHCs would have to chase him down in the Rectory. It’s easier for everyone if the EMHCs come forward right at the end of the distribution of Holy Communion, receive their Hosts, and then leave immediately after receiving their blessing.
If you were to do that at my home parish, the priest would ask you to step aside until the end of the distribution of Holy Communion, and then, if he knew you, he would give you the hosts, but if he didn’t know you, he would ask you to come back to the Rectory after Mass and give him your references and explain to him why you’re not on his list of authorized EMHCs.Apparently this is a grave error, and someday I do want to be an EMHC and it will be interesting to see if any rules are bent.
Absolutely! Each EMHC is only allowed to distribute communion within the parish where they are assigned. In my diocese (and the two nearest us), we are trained that we much receive from the priest after the distribution of communion in the Mass. No EMHC would present their pyx to be filled at the moment that he goes up for communion, and no EMHC who may be distributing communion at that Mass should fill another lay person’s pyx.If you were to do that at my home parish, the priest would ask you to step aside until the end of the distribution of Holy Communion, and then, if he knew you, he would give you the hosts, but if he didn’t know you, he would ask you to come back to the Rectory after Mass and give him your references and explain to him why you’re not on his list of authorized EMHCs.
At the parish where I work, I’ve never seen anyone attempt this, so I don’t know how they would react. I hope they would make sure that they know the person before giving out the Host to them.