Question about the Blessed Virgin Mary

• Thread starter Thread starter carol_marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carol_marie

My daughter recieved a sort of prayer card at school today. On the front there’s a lovely picture of Mary and it says:

The Blessed Virgin Mary grants seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary’s and meditating on her tears and dolors.

Our question: What is a dolor?

carol marie:
My daughter recieved a sort of prayer card at school today. On the front there’s a lovely picture of Mary and it says:

The Blessed Virgin Mary grants seven graces to the souls who honor her daily by saying seven Hail Mary’s and meditating on her tears and dolors.

Sorrow. There is a classical devotion to the Seven Sorrows of Mary. The Order of Servants of Mary (Servites) have their own rosary (chaplet, really) of seven groups of seven beads separated by medals depicting the seven sorrows.

These are the 7 Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary
1.St. Simeon’s Prophesy, 2. the Flight of the Holy Family to Egypt, 3.the Loss of Jesus in the Temple, 4.the Meeting of Mary with Jesus, 5.the Death of Jesus, 6.Piercing of the Side of Jesus, 7.the Burial of Jesus.

Thanks so much… on the back of the card it lists the 7 Graces & the 7 Sorrows. It’s beautiful really.

Becoming Catholic is like learning a totally different language. Sometimes I wonder… will I EVER be fluent?

:hmmm:

I’m with you on that Carol, I too wonder if I will ever be fluent in Catholic speak.

40.png
St.Curious:
I’m with you on that Carol, I too wonder if I will ever be fluent in Catholic speak.
The following is a little private exchange I had with Carol Marie. Carol, I hope you don’t mind sharing this with everyone.

Quote:
Thanks so much for saying that… sometimes I’ve heard something… didn’t know what it meant & asked the question on this site only to be hit with: “YOU CALL YOURSELF A CATHOLIC… HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THAT???” Yikes. Makes me feel so stupid. But you are right… this wonderful faith is HUGE… there is just so much to learn… I think we’re all a “work in progress.”

Asking the question isn’t stupid. Not asking the question is stupid. LOL The Church is huge but tiny in relation to God. And when we ask the question and get an answer, we develop our relationship with God just a little bit more. Whenever I get a message that has the tone you reference, I just say a little prayer that the person be blessed with the tender heart of Jesus the next time they have the opportunity to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ.

But I do want you to know that one of the reasons that I get so much inspiration from being involved in the RCIA program is that despite the lack of formal catachesis (sp?), the Candidates hearts are overflowing with a desire to better know Jesus that is contagious. People like you are a blessing to us cradle Catholics. Thanks for what you do for us!

carolmarie, would you mind sharing with us on here the seven graces that she grants us? thank you

40.png
allhers:
carolmarie, would you mind sharing with us on here the seven graces that she grants us? thank you
Here’s what the card says… The Seven Graces:
  1. I will grant peace to their families.
  2. They will be enlightened about the divine mysteries.
  3. I will console them in their pains and I will accompany them in their work.
  4. I will give them as much as they ask for as long as it does not oppose the adorable will of my divine Son or the sancification of thier souls.
  5. I will defend them in their spiritual battles with the infernal enemy and I will protect them at every instant of their lives.
  6. I will visibly help them at the moment of their death, they will see the face of their Mother.
  7. I have obtained (This Grace) from my divine Son, that those who propagate this devotion to my tears and dolors, will be taken directly from this earthly life to eternal happiness since all their sins will be forgiven and my Son and I will be their eternal consolation and joy.

carol marie:

In medical term it means PAIN.

Hi,

Thank you all for spreading this devotion, I will make this part of my daily pryers now. I found this inspiring image on the following link whcih has a lot of info…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

7dolors.com/sevendolors.htm

God bless,

Derek.

the Image of course is an artistic rendering of Luke’s Gospel, the presentation of the Christ Child at the temple after his birth, when Simeon prophesied that Mary’s heart would be pierced with a sword.

40.png
puzzleannie:
the Image of course is an artistic rendering of Luke’s Gospel, the presentation of the Christ Child at the temple after his birth, when Simeon prophesied that Mary’s heart would be pierced with a sword.
I always wondered why she’s often shown like that…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back