Question about the brown scapular

• Thread starter Thread starter wOoKiE
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wOoKiE

Hi all, I’m new here so be nice 🙂

I have just recieved a brown scapular (thanks Fergal!) and am a little confused about how to have it blessed etc.

Do you have to be a Carmelite Tertiary to be included in Our Lady’s promise or does it suffice to have it blessed? I took it to a Carmelite priest and he said a little prayer, blessed it and gave it to me. Is that valid or was there supposed to be more to it than that?

help! :confused:

There’s nothing more to it than that. Having a priest pray over it, or however they put it, is enough to have it blessed. And it didn’t have to be a carmelite priest. Any priest can do that.

If there is a lay order of carmelites near you, you might want to check it out. But only if you feel drawn to that sort of spirituality. There are other orders that have a third order group. Find out what’s available near you and go from there. :love:

In addition to having it blessed and wearing it, you also need to fulfill the other requirements the Blessed Mother desired.

It is best to be actually enrolled in the brown scapular, to obtain the effects of all the promises associated wih the brown scapular; it is a short ceremony, that can be performed by any priest. Most pastors enroll the children shortly before they make their first communion. I had my spiritual director perform the enrollment for me, we did it durring one of my direction ceremonies, right in the rectory. When you are enrolled you need to be enrolled with a blessed scapular, usually done at that time; after that, when you reeplace a worn scapular it does now need to be blessed, to obtain the promises attached with enrollment (although I get it blessed anyway).

The following is taken from

thebrownscapular.com/english/enrolled.html

The implications of being enrolled in the Brown Scapular are so significant it would be wise to first understand the rigorous commitment we’re taking on.

It is clear that the scapular is one of the great treasures of the Carmelite Family. Since the Scapular itself is only a symbol, it would be inappropriate to become enrolled in it without careful understanding of what we are receiving. In particular we should nurture a relationship with Mary if we are to expect any favour from her. If we are to be clothed in Mary’s habit, we should strive to be clothed also in her virtues. If the words generosity, restraint, chastity, humility, patience, meekness, love etc are meaningful to us, if they invoke a desire to put into action what they imply, then the Brown Scapular pledge will be a most sweet burden to carry. Simply wearing the Scapular is not that difficult; it’s worn under one’s clothes, it doesn’t tangle easily and it feels soft against the skin, after a while one doesn’t even know that it is on. But it takes courage and perseverance to wear it devoutly because there is no sudden leap to holiness; our success lies in day-by-day faithfulness to Christ.

Enrollment in the Scapular brings us into the order of Carmel to share its good things and to participate in its spiritual treasures of Masses, prayers and good works.

When the story of our salvation is made known, perhaps it will be found that we have been granted the grace of a happy death through the prayers of our brothers and sisters in Carmel. Father Schultz, C.SS.R. said, “Why those who wear the Scapular will save their souls, is because they will never be without the help of prayer.”

The Scapular should be a constant reminder of the obligations we have taken upon ourselves. Its wearer is doubly clothed; for at Baptism he is clothed with a white robe of baptismal innocence which he is commanded to carry unspotted to the white Throne of God, and at the time of his enrollment in the Scapular he receives the brown robe of Mary which reminds him of his obligation to clothe himself with the virtues of the Blessed Mother.

If Christ, said St. Bernard, is our garment, He should be visible in our person. And if Mary is our garment, she too should be visible in our person and we should reveal our virtues in our everyday conduct. No one should ever see the Scapular without seeing something of Our Lady in the wearer. The holy life should always bear the good fruit of love, charity, kindness, meekness, gentleness and prayerfulness; it should be the bearer of Christ to others.

The Brown Scapular however is not endowed with some kind of supernatural power which will save us no matter what we do or how much we sin. Mary promises to take us out of purgatory soon after death in return for our promise to live a virtuous life, nothing short of that will suffice. We might apply here what St. Alphonsus says about the devotion to Mary in general:

“When we declare that it is impossible for a servant of Mary to be lost, we do not mean those who by their devotion to Mary think themselves warranted to sin freely. We state that these reckless people, because of their presumption, deserve to be treated with rigour and not with kindness. We speak here of servants of Mary who, to the fidelity with which they honour and invoke her, join the desire to amend their lives. I hold it morally impossible that these be lost.”

The true devotion to Mary will also show itself in love for the Eucharist and the sure instinct of Carmel has always recognized this. The Rule recommends commitment to spiritual routines and the practice of works of Mercy.

If you are ready to give yourself to God just as He is ready to accept you just as you are, then the Brown Scapular is for you. It is the life that we live day in and day out that glorifies Him and our love for Him should be so great that it cannot be expressed any other way. If we offer our life as it is to God, His holiness is sure to invade it.

One final note, if there are doubts about your desire to surrender to Christ through the Brown Scapular, pray and seek guidance from the Holy Spirit. our commitment is not something to be rushed and since it has been around for 750 years, it will be here for you when you are ready.

To be eligible for the Promise, one must be validly enrolled in the Confraternity by a priest. The first Scapular worn should be blessed; a simple blessing from the ‘Book of Blessings’ or a formula for enrolment may be used. Subsequent Scapulars do not have to be blessed (the blessing transfers). Once the person has been enrolled they automatically become members of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Mount Carmel or The Scapular Confraternity.

***Short formula for enrolment in the Scapular

Code:
      Receive this scapular, a sign of your special relationship with Mary the Mother of Jesus, whom you pledge to imitate. May it be a reminder to you of your dignity as a Christian, in serving others and imitating Mary. Wear it as a sign of her protection and of belonging to the family of Carmel, voluntarily doing the will of God and devoting yourself to building a world true to his plan of community, justice and peace.
Amen.

(Scapular now Blessed and presented to those being enrolled.)

Code:
***Morning Offering***
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, (here kiss your brown scapular) and in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass being offered throughout the world, I offer You all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day in reparation for the offenses committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary, for my sins and the sins of the whole world.
Code:
    ***Act     of Consecration to Our Lady of Mount Carmel***

O Mary, Queen and Mother of Carmel, I come today to consecrate myself to you, for my whole life is but a small return for the many graces and blessings that have come from God to me through your hands. Since you look with special kindness on those who wear your Scapular, I implore you to strengthen my weakness with your power, to enlighten the darkness of my mind with your wisdom, and to increase in me Faith, Hope and Charity that I may repay each day my debt of humble homage to you.

May your Scapular bring me your special protection in my daily struggle to be faithful to your Divine Son and to you. May it separate me from all that is sinful in life and remind me constantly of my duty to imitate your virtues. From now on, I shall strive to live in God's Presence, and offer all to Jesus through you. Dearest Mother, support me by your never-failing love and lead me to paradise through the merits of Christ and your own intercession. Amen.

My dear friend I am so delighted to her that the Scapular arrived safe and sound. Welcome to the Family. Have no fear if a Carmelite Priest blessed it and gave it to you, Heaven has accepted this. Wear you Scapular with faith and of course pride. Kiss it often as a sign of your love for our Lady especially in your Morning Prayer.

The Scapular, being a sacred object, when it becomes worn out must be either buried or burned. It should not be disposed of in the regular garbage.

My last post I promise!!!

Of course any of you out there who cannot locate a Brown Scapular and would wish to receive one, please send your details to me in a private message and I will pop one in the post. All is of course free of any charge.

I would only be too delighted to send one (or many) to you.

God Bless.

For those of you with a devotion to the Fatima message you can use the following Morning Prayer:

The Morning Offering
O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary (here kiss your Scapular as a sign of your consecration; partial indulgence also), I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the altars throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word and action of this day. O my Jesus, I desire today to gain every indulgence and merit I can and I offer them together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, that she may best apply them in the interest of Thy most Sacred Heart. Precious Blood of Jesus, save us! Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us! Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back