Question about the Navarre New Testament

  • Thread starter Thread starter Borealis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Borealis

Guest
Which version of the Navarre New Testament would be most recommended? I’d like to try to get it before the New Year, if possible, but time is rather crunched right now.

My options are, as indicated above,
  • The Expanded New Testament
  • The Compact New Testament
  • Individual volumes (which means I only need to buy a couple of books to start)
I’m hoping to get the Pentateuch and Psalms as well, since my yearly bible reading program starts with Genesis, Psalms, and Matthew.

Note that ‘don’t bother with it’ isn’t an option, because I most definitely am going to bother with it.
 
I think the expanded New Testament also has the Latin currently in use. That’d be a selling point for me, I think.
 
Which version of the Navarre New Testament would be most recommended? I’d like to try to get it before the New Year, if possible, but time is rather crunched right now.

My options are, as indicated above,
  • The Expanded New Testament
  • The Compact New Testament
  • Individual volumes (which means I only need to buy a couple of books to start)
I’m hoping to get the Pentateuch and Psalms as well, since my yearly bible reading program starts with Genesis, Psalms, and Matthew.

Note that ‘don’t bother with it’ isn’t an option, because I most definitely am going to bother with it.
You forgot the 3 hb of the NT which are basically the same as the individual volumes…just hardback.

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=618

Do not get the Compact one…it is only meant for those who do not want much commentary …or who want a single vol to travel with that is not as big as the expanded…but is still not small…

The Expanded edition is a NEW work. it does not replace the others nor is the same as the others…it too is very nice…so is very good to have…I have them all…

scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

I think you can look inside them here; scepterpublishers.org/category/?category_id=24

I would get things now…while they are on sale…
 
I think the expanded New Testament also has the Latin currently in use. That’d be a selling point for me, I think.
They all have the Latin…except the Compact one.

The Latin is in the back for all except the expanded…it is on the same page there.
 
I concur with Bookcat - I recommend that you get the individual hardback volumes, as well as the recently released one-volume expanded NT.

The differences are as follows:

I. Three hardback volumes containing all 27 New Testament Books

Scepter calls this its Navarre Bible - New Testament HB Set

Originally published in 12 paperback volumes, these three hardback volumes reproduce the same content as the paperback 12-volume set.

“This Navarre Bible commentaries on all twenty-seven books of the New Testament gives you the complete English (Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition) and Latin (New Vulgate) texts of each book, plus extensive and faithfully Catholic explanations of the scriptural texts and their implications for everyday life. Compiled by the faculty of the University of Navarre, the commentaries draw on a huge variety of sources: Church documents, the writings of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, and the work of prominent modern spiritual writers, chiefly St. Josemaria Escriva, who initiated this massive project. Each volume is self-contained, with wide-ranging general introductions, introductions to each Biblical book, a table of sources cited, maps, and informative notes. Scholarly and readable, these volumes are a comprehensive intellectual, historical, and spiritual survey of the riches of the New Testament.”

The volumes are broken down into:

1 Gospels and Acts
2. Letters of St. Paul
3. Revelation, Hebrews, and Catholic Letters

Ironically, the 3 volume hardback set does NOT reference the Catholic Cathechism.

II. One hardback containing all 27 New Testament Books

Scepter calls this volume its The Navarre Bible - NT Expanded Edition

IThis one-volume HB differs from the 3-volume HB set above as follows:

"This latest edition of the Navarre Bible includes extensive Catholic commentary for the entire New Testament all in one beautiful volume. It has wide-ranging general introductions, individual book introductions, a table of sources cited, maps, and informative notes. Compiled by the faculty of the University of Navarre, the commentaries draw on a huge variety of sources: Church documents, the writings of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, and the work of prominent spiritual writers. Scholarly yet readable, the Navarre Bible commentaries offer a comprehensive intellectual, historical, and spiritual survey of the riches of the New Testament. They are a wonderful aid in the prayerful reading of Scripture (Lectio Divina).

This hardback edition is larger (7 x 10 inches) to accommodate much more extensive commentary than in the Compact Edition. The commentary is also new. It avoids repetition between the Synoptic Gospels and pays more attention to the sense of the text. The larger trim size and more ample margin allows for easier reading and note-taking.

This is the first edition of a Navarre New Testament with all of the following features:

• commentary utilizing the Catechism of the Catholic Church and other recent Church documents including those of Pope Benedict XVI.

• extensive New Testament commentary all in one volume; large-format

• printed in two colors throughout (red and black)

• with RSVCE (English) and New Vulgate (Latin) texts on the same page"

*Important notes:
  1. Although the Latin Vulgate (Nova Vulgata - 1979/1986) is included, the English text is NOT a translation of the Nova Vulgata. The English text is the RSV Catholic Edition. To date, the Nova Vulgata has never had an approved English translation.
  2. According to the Preface and Preliminary Notes, the RSV CE used for this series is NOT the “second edition” of the RSV CE, which is what Ignatius used for its recently released New Testament study bible.
  3. In the 3 volume HB set, the Nova Vulgata appears in an appendix. In the 1 volume HB, the Nova Vulgata appears between the English RSV text and the commentary on each page.*
Thus, the reason why I recommend both HB sets is because the commentaries are different.
 
*Important notes:
  1. According to the Preface and Preliminary Notes, the RSV CE used for this series is NOT the “second edition” of the RSV CE, which is what Ignatius used for its recently released New Testament study bible.
Because…that is “Ignatius” …that is their* creation…
 
I chose the individual volumes, because you get so much more in introduction to the books and overall commentary. I collected all 10 books over a one year period. If you have to get some of the Old Testaments books down the line, then you can slowly work toward getting all ten books. 👍
 
I chose the individual volumes, because you get so much more in introduction to the books and overall commentary. I collected all 10 books over a one year period. If you have to get some of the Old Testaments books down the line, then you can slowly work toward getting all ten books. 👍
It is the same…in the 3 as in the 12…intro’s too (there may have been an article or so that was different in years past…but now it is basically the mirror image of each other)

also note in the Expanded ed it is a new work…and is written differently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top