Question about the sin of presumption

  • Thread starter Thread starter cjcapta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cjcapta

Guest
If you commit the sin of presumption for the sin of presumption, do you have to specifically confess that in confession, or can you just say you committed the sin of presumption multiple times? 🤷
 
Don’t get hung up on naming the sins and giving them numbers. Just tell what happened, in a brief summary. It doesn’t take any longer and helps the priest understand. You will still thereby fulfill the obligation to confess in kind and number.

Betsy
 
The sin of presumption manifests in many forms so you may chose to list one or two manifestations but also specifically state that you are guilt of varies sins of presumtion, at least that is my advice.
 
It is important that we try and be as specific about our sins as we can.

See this chapter by St Francis De Sales,
Beware of unmeaning self-accusations, made out of a mere routine, such as, “I have not loved God as much as I ought; I have not prayed with as much devotion as I ought; I
have not loved my neighbour as I ought; I have not received the Sacraments with sufficient reverence;” and the like. Such things as these are altogether useless in setting the state of your conscience before your Confessor, inasmuch as all the Saints in Paradise and all men living would say the same. But examine closely what special reason you have for accusing yourself thus, and when you have discovered it, accuse yourself simply and plainly of your fault.

ccel.org/ccel/desales/devout_life.iv.xix.html
 
What if it is a big chain of sins of presumptions for sins of presumption, I think the priest would get tired of hearing it, or worse think something is wrong with my mind (like a disorder, due to me repeating it over and over again, not morally) Or would that just be considered commiting the sin of presumption for the sin of presumption multiple times? If not, could someone just say he or she commited the sin of presumption for the sin of presumption on multiple levels? 🤷
 
Just ask the priest how he’d like to handle it. He’ll help you understand. Just say what you said here, and he’ll be able to help you.

I see you’re from Maryland! Anywhere near Baltimore? Come join our social group - see the link in my signature.

Betsy
 
Just ask the priest how he’d like to handle it. He’ll help you understand. Just say what you said here, and he’ll be able to help you.

I see you’re from Maryland! Anywhere near Baltimore? Come join our social group - see the link in my signature.

Betsy
It’s Baltimore County, is that what you are talking about, or did you mean the city?
 
Baltimore anything is fine! I’m in the City, not far from the County.

Betsy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top