Question about today's Liturgy of the Hours

• Thread starter Thread starter gez722
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gez722

I’m somewhat new to praying the Liturgy of the Hours and I have a question about today’s (Memorial of St Mary Magdalene) psalms for Morning Prayer. Why is it that the psalms for the Sunday of Week 1 were used for today’s memorial. According to what I’ve read, this is only done for feasts and solemnities. Normally, memorials use the psalms for the current weekday. Is there an exception for certain memorials?

God Bless,
Gary

It depends, sometimes there are special Morning and Evening prayers for feast days and sometimes there is not. For the most part only certain sections (i.e. the ending prayer and a Office Reading) are replaced for the Saint. In many cases, they are optional and you can pray the regular prayer for the day.

As for major Feasts and Solemnities. Yes, they have their own Morning and Evening prayers. The mid-day and night prayers do not change. You will see this more around the Advent and Lenten seasons (especially approaching Christmas and Lent).

BTW: Definitely read the Office Readings. I get more out of those than the normal prayers.

PF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back