Question concerning proximate occasions of sin

• Thread starter Thread starter Ad_Collegium
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ad_Collegium

Hello! I was wondering if an action could be considered in the near occasion of sin, or once action is taken is something a sin?
Example: Consider someone who (put modestly) struggles with sins against purity. If they find that some action causes some stirring, but they do that action without any intent to do more than that action, does it count as a mortal sin because they are intentionally putting themself in a place where it would be easier to slip up, or is it a venial sin because it’s wrong but not to the degree of graveness, or is it not a sin at all but just a bad idea?

Last edited:
I would pray about it, if this action leads to a sin or evil thoughts or impurity, stay away from it! I will pray for you, I do not know the level of necessity of the action; if it is avoidable I would avoid it. Romans 14:23 says

“and everything that does not come from faith is sin.”

Therefore if you have any inkling in your conscience that this may displease the Lord, don’t do it! It is sin to think you ought to do something (or stop doing something?) and still continue with no change.

Also, James 4:7 Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”

And Jesus says in Matthew 5:29
“If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell”

Wish you the best, God bless you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back