Question for cradle Catholics and converts to Catholicism

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tommy999
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The proper terms for those entering the Church are catechumens or candidates. Catechumens are those who have not been baptized. They are the true “converts” especially if they come from non-Christian backgrounds (some are psuedo-Christian, so they fall into the same category). Candidates are those who have been baptized and are being reconciled to the Church. All the baptized are joined to the Church because of their baptism, but not all the baptized are in full union with the Church. 🙂 So, the baptized who came from other Christian bodies are not converts in the formal sense of the word.

As to what I got from cradle Catholics having come from a Protestant background, I found Catholics to be blessed free from anxiety about their status before God. I’d heard that Catholics can never be sure of their salvation and so live in constant fear of death and dying, but I found just the opposite. Their faith in Christ was such that they knew they were one with him in the sacraments–which effect what they signify and are not “dead rituals”, as some Protestants had insisted. I found that Catholics were open, non-judgmental, merry, and unattached from themselves. They were as they ought to be–children at home in their Father’s house.

As for what I received and kept from my Protestant days, I learned my way around the Bible, for which I will always be grateful. I learned to make prayer personal. I got my basic Christian education in both the Episcopal Church and the Assemblies of God. I first awoke to faith as an Episcopalian and am so thankful my parents had me baptized a mere month after my birth. I knew a lot of people of deep faith who loved Jesus and lived for him in both ecclesial bodies. I gained so much by being reconciled to the Church, but I took a lot with me into the Church for which I cannot be anything other than indebted to all the good people, both Catholic and non-Catholic, and what they’ve given to me.
Hi Della, I’m always honored to hear from you. 🙂

Thanks for the insights. I’m sure you’ve made countless contributions to your parish, also.
I feel that God leads us to where He wants us to be, and no doubt that was the case with your faith journey. I think you are the kind of person I expect to see on a version of the ‘Journey Home’ some day.
 
Hi Della, I’m always honored to hear from you. 🙂

Thanks for the insights. I’m sure you’ve made countless contributions to your parish, also.
I feel that God leads us to where He wants us to be, and no doubt that was the case with your faith journey. I think you are the kind of person I expect to see on a version of the ‘Journey Home’ some day.
Thanks for the kind words. Back atcha! Actually, my conversion story was published in the Coming Home Network Newsletter a few months ago. It should be available on line. You would recognize my story from what I’ve written about my background on CAF.
 
Thanks for the kind words. Back atcha! Actually, my conversion story was published in the Coming Home Network Newsletter a few months ago. It should be available on line. You would recognize my story from what I’ve written about my background on CAF.
Nice. I’ll take a look at that when I get off work later today. See, I figured you’d be on there 🙂
 
Nice. I’ll take a look at that when I get off work later today. See, I figured you’d be on there 🙂
Well, I’ve aided a few people looking into Catholicism for the CHN, so naturally they got around to asking for my story. There are many others whose stories ought to be told. I love reading them whenever I come across them. 😃
 
Well, I’ve aided a few people looking into Catholicism for the CHN, so naturally they got around to asking for my story. There are many others whose stories ought to be told. I love reading them whenever I come across them. 😃
Della,
Would I find you under AOG or Episcopalian? I am on the CHN website and they have different categories, and I was trying to find your story.
 
I have a couple of questions of curiosity:

Questions:
Question for Cradle Catholics:
In general, what traits and characteristics do Catholic converts have that helps strengthen you, your parish and the Catholic Church in general?

Question for Catholic Converts:
In general, what traits and characteristics do cradle Catholics have that helps strengthen you, your parish and the Catholic Church in general?

Thanks for your time. Much obliged. :tiphat::

I am a revert, and I took the journey last year through RCIA with my husband, who is now a convert. (I have joked with my Pastor that I feel like a convert even though I was born into the Church).

As for your question to cradle Catholics, I think it’s the knowledge, zeal and respect of the converts that strengthens me, our parish, and the Church as a whole. There’s no denying that adult converts have a special perspective that some cradle Catholics might lack. They’ve learned for themselves the Catholic Church teaches the truth and made the choice to join. Because of their new found knowledge of the truth and the joy they experience from discovering it, they have a zeal that I don’t see in as many cradle Catholics. Also, many converts come from a Protestant background, and using my husband as an example (he’s a former Baptist), they bring a respect to Mass in the ways they present themselves that you don’t always see in cradle Catholics. When I was growing up, I often went to Church in jeans, shorts, or sometimes my soccer uniform. My family still dresses to this day in jeans to go to Church. But being with my husband, who wears a suit to Mass, I now always wear a skirt, dress, or slacks (with the exception of some weekday Masses, where I may wear jeans sometimes if I’m coming from somewhere or headed somewhere to do some work), and I do feel that it’s respectful to dress up whenever possible, especially for Sunday Masses.

I see converts having a direct effect on me, and I have no doubt that they can have a positive effect on the Church as a whole. In my case, one convert’s journey helped me to gain new knowledge, perspective and respect I never had at this level before. And more people having knowledge and respect can only affect the Church in a positive way, IMO…
 
Hi AllieT,

Yours is an inspirational story about how converts have positively influenced you. Thanks, Allie T. 🙂

On the other hand, I bet you are already a blessing to converts. You have obviously already been one to your husband, as I will logically assume you were a big reason why he chose to become Catholic in the first place. 👍
 
Della,
Would I find you under AOG or Episcopalian? I am on the CHN website and they have different categories, and I was trying to find your story.
Most likely AoG–I haven’t looked it up online so I’m afraid I can’t say for certain. I hope you find it. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top