Question On Blessed Items

• Thread starter Thread starter BlueRain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueRain

I think it says somewhere in the cathecism that it is wrong to sell or buy items that are blessed. Is this correct? Some items are sold on ebay and I don’t know if some of them have been blessed. I was just wondering about that.

Also, can you personally bless an item and if so, how do you do it? Or should items be blessed by a priest?

When I was young, my cousin took my medallion of the Virgin Mary and dipped it in Holy water as she said and made the sign of the cross.

As far as I know, only a priest can bless items and you cannot sell blessed items, although I don’t know if the rule is you can’t sell period, or you can’t add a price because its blessed or make a profit. Sorry.

40.png
BlueRain:
I think it says somewhere in the cathecism that it is wrong to sell or buy items that are blessed. Is this correct?
Correct. Once an item is blest, it is considered a priceless gift from God to be given freely. To sell it is the sin of Simony. To buy a blest object is to support one in simony.

Some items are sold on ebay and I don’t know if some of them have been blessed. I was just wondering about that. → If you’re not buying it BECAUSE its blest, and you don’t already know its blest, then you’re fine, I think. If it concerns you, you can always ask the seller.

Also, can you personally bless an item and if so, how do you do it? Or should items be blessed by a priest? → Inanimate objects can only be blest by those who are ordained: Deacons, Priest, and Bishops.

When I was young, my cousin took my medallion of the Virgin Mary and dipped it in Holy water as she said and made the sign of the cross.-> I pius thought, but your cousin doesn’t have the authority to formally bless something.

Josh

Thanks guys for clearing that up. Yeah, my cousin blessed it when we were like 11 years old. It’s kinda funny now that I think about it. The holy water was in this metal container on top of the fridge, thank goodness she didn’t fall off the chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back