Question on Denominationalism- facing reality

  • Thread starter Thread starter hengcymatthew
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hengcymatthew

Guest
Hi, I’m a Roman Catholic from Singapore.

I’ve been reading up very much on the Catholic Church and yes I truely believe that the Catholic Church is one true, apostolic Church of Christ.

I understand the point of denominationalism and the views of the bible on it. But my huge question is- Denominationalism is seen as wrong amongst Catholics, but the works and miracles of God are seen amongst the Catholics (indeed!) and the various Christian denominations too. Does God support denominationalism? I’ve read many pro-Catholic articles about that and I definately understand and agree with their viewpoint about how denominationalism is opposed. But how then is my question answered-

“If only one Church is the right Church, why is the works and miracles of the Lord shown amongst Catholics and all Christian denominations?”

with His Love,
Matthew Heng
 
There’s a passage in the gospels (I don’t have my Bible with me so I can’t look up the book/chapter/verse) where some of the Apostles come to Jesus and tell him that some others were casting out demons in Jesus name and they wanted them to stop as they were not with Jesus. Jesus tells them not to interfere, saying “Anyone who is not against me as with me.”

The Catholic Church recognizes the validity of the sacrament of Baptism in of most Protestant denominations. That, and the fact that Protestants sincerely love and try to follow Jesus I believe allows God to work in their churches, if not as fully as in Catholic churches.

I think denominationalism is still wrong as it is a violation of Jesus prayer that his followers be one, and Paul’s request for “One faith, one Lord, one baptism.” As a result of denominationalism, Christianity speaks with a divided voice, which makes evangelization harder.
 
That, and the fact that Protestants sincerely love and try to follow Jesus I believe allows God to work in their churches, if not as fully as in Catholic churches.
Earlier you quoted the bible verse of “if you’re not with me you’re AGAINST me”. I’m totally aware of that verse which then again comes back to that question of the miracles and works of the Lord in the lives of various Christian denominations. If it is so that the Catholic Church is one true Church, and the rest of the denominations are- “you’re not with me, you’re AGAINST me”, how then can God work in their church?

i’m sorry but i’m not fully convince by this argument, may you further elaborate?
 
Hi, I’m a Roman Catholic from Singapore.

I’ve been reading up very much on the Catholic Church and yes I truely believe that the Catholic Church is one true, apostolic Church of Christ.

I understand the point of denominationalism and the views of the bible on it. But my huge question is- Denominationalism is seen as wrong amongst Catholics, but the works and miracles of God are seen amongst the Catholics (indeed!) and the various Christian denominations too. Does God support denominationalism? I’ve read many pro-Catholic articles about that and I definately understand and agree with their viewpoint about how denominationalism is opposed. But how then is my question answered-

“If only one Church is the right Church, why is the works and miracles of the Lord shown amongst Catholics and all Christian denominations?”

with His Love,
Matthew Heng
God is very merciful, and He continues to work with those who are separated from His Church. They are saved despite their denominationalism - certainly not because of it.

The Catechism reflects on this. I would consider those passages carefully.
 
The fruits of God’s grace are even seen outside of Christianity. For non-Christians do good works, and all such good works are due to people responding to God’s grace and His law written on each human heart. So your argument could just as easily be used to argue that Christianity holds no special claims to truth.
 
Earlier you quoted the bible verse of “if you’re not with me you’re AGAINST me”. I’m totally aware of that verse which then again comes back to that question of the miracles and works of the Lord in the lives of various Christian denominations. If it is so that the Catholic Church is one true Church, and the rest of the denominations are- “you’re not with me, you’re AGAINST me”, how then can God work in their church?

i’m sorry but i’m not fully convince by this argument, may you further elaborate?
Actually, what I quoted was “who iss not against me is for me.” I was able to look up the verses in question. It comes from Mark 9:38-40:
John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not follow us.” Jesus replied, “Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us.”
Most Protestants sincerely love and try to follow Jesus, and many are misguided with regard to what the Catholic Church believes and teaches. recognizes the validity of the sacrament of baptism in most churches, and recognizes that while they lack the fullness of the Catholic Church, they are still recipients of God’s grace.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top