Question on Fasting

• Thread starter Thread starter dumspirospero
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dumspirospero

Normally, I cut down my food intake and I abstain from all meats, except Fish (which I have thought about excluding as well, but I am an athlete and I need the calories) on every Friday of the year, outside of Lent. During Lent, I do sort of a Black Fast on Fridays by only taking in bread and water in limited amounts. I was just wondering a couple of things:

1st) Does anyone have any good recipes for Fridays for someone that wants to eliminate meat (including fish) all together, but needs a good caloric intake because they are an athlete.

2nd) During Fridays (outside of Lent), why must one abstain from meat, but it is ok to eat cheese, butter, drink milk, etc.?

3rd) Does anyone else fast like this? What type of fast/abstinence do you observe? Just wondering. God Bless

40.png
dumspirospero:
Normally, I cut down my food intake and I abstain from all meats, except Fish (which I have thought about excluding as well, but I am an athlete and I need the calories) on every Friday of the year, outside of Lent. During Lent, I do sort of a Black Fast on Fridays by only taking in bread and water in limited amounts. I was just wondering a couple of things:

1st) Does anyone have any good recipes for Fridays for someone that wants to eliminate meat (including fish) all together, but needs a good caloric intake because they are an athlete.

2nd) During Fridays (outside of Lent), why must one abstain from meat, but it is ok to eat cheese, butter, drink milk, etc.?

3rd) Does anyone else fast like this? What type of fast/abstinence do you observe? Just wondering. God Bless
1)sounds like a great day for pasta…(no meat sauces) 👍

2)ewtn.com/faith/lent/fast.htm 👍

3)the type the shown in the link above 👍

4)catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0184.html

Well…I am kind of an enigma when it comes to fasting…as an athlete, I expend a lot of calories and I eat 6 times a day (six small meals), so what would a fast be for me??? 3 Meals? 2 Meals? I want to do as much as I can, but I also have to keep up my energy levels to be able to be at peak performance…I also work long hours…any advice? Also, is egg beaters and cheese ok to eat on Fridays?

For a nice hearty calorie meatless meal, time to make vegetable cannoli, fettucine alfredo (otherwise known as “heart attack on a plate”), baked macaroni and cheese, cheese pizza. . .

Or lentil stew a la Esau (the mess of potage for which he sold his birthright) which can be full of root vegetables.
Split pea soup without ham/ meat.
Couscous with grilled vegetables, esp. eggplant.
Frittatas, omelets, quiche (can all be meatless).
Fondue.
Raclette (often served with fondue, a Swiss potato dish).
Spaghetti squash served with your favorite meatless spaghetti sauce.
Sesame or peanut noodles; can be hot or cold.

All sorts of tofu dishes.
Meatless tortillas and refried beans and sopapillas.
Kaisherschmarren (apple pancake).
Noodle kugels.
Stuffed cabbage.

(You’ve probably guessed that at least one of my family members is a vegetarian. . .)

Yep, eggs, milk, butter, cheese are all ok–in the Latin rite Catholic church currently.

I do believe that the Eastern Rite Catholics like the Byzantines have a more rigorous fasting.

Back in the olden days they did NOT allow eggs, milk, butter or cheese. If you want, you can substitute almond milk. . .you blanch your almonds and grind them and squeeze out the “milk”. (You might have guessed that I possess a medieval cookbook). It is actually quite fun to make things like frumenty (a porridge like food) with the almond milk. . .presto! You’re eating just like a monk in the 14th century!

Thanks Tantum…you have been a big help…I really appreciate it. What about number of meals…I know the standard fast calls for 1 meal with a small snack in either the evening or morning…possibly both…but like I stated, I am an athlete and I usually eat 6 smaller meals a day…if I cut down to 3, would that suffice?
Tantum ergo:
Yep, eggs, milk, butter, cheese are all ok–in the Latin rite Catholic church currently.

I do believe that the Eastern Rite Catholics like the Byzantines have a more rigorous fasting.

Back in the olden days they did NOT allow eggs, milk, butter or cheese. If you want, you can substitute almond milk. . .you blanch your almonds and grind them and squeeze out the “milk”. (You might have guessed that I possess a medieval cookbook). It is actually quite fun to make things like frumenty (a porridge like food) with the almond milk. . .presto! You’re eating just like a monk in the 14th century!

Guidelines currently call for one full meal and for two smaller meals, both of which, taken together, should not add up to another full meal.

So. . .toast and juice for breakfast, a nice large eggs/ vegetables meal with bread and fruit for lunch, and finally a light dinner with non meat broth soup, milk/ yogurt and fruit, would be just fine.

just to clear things up, because we have a lot of newbies here, fasting in Lent means one full meal, and two lesser meals that together do not equal a full meal. Required on Ash Wed and Good Friday. Actually still required every day of Lent (not Sunday or holy days) but other penitential practice may be substituted, except those two days. Abstinence is refraining from eating meat, required on Ash Wed and all Fridays of Lent incl. Good Friday. Actually required on all Fridays of the year, but another penitential practice may be susbstituted (outside Lent).

Not required of those whose health does not permit (diabetics, pregnant women etc.).

There are other types of penitential fasting, such as bread and water only, but in general these should not be adopted unless you are unders spiritual direction.

For athletes there are several non-meat sources of protein so abstinence days are not a problem. Unless you are training at olympic or professional level don’t see how calorie requirements will be a problem on two required fast days of Lent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back