Question on "giving something up" for lent

• Thread starter Thread starter maggiec
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maggiec

For as long as I can remember I was told that when giving up something for lent that you did not include Sundays because that was the day of the Resurrection.
Now I am being questioned about this practice. Am I wrong and if so please give where in the catechism I can find the information.
Thanks,
maggiec

To the best of my knowledge Sunday is not counted as a day of Lent. I, myself, do not get legalistic, and continue my “fast” even on Sunday. It is all in how you want to perform your lenten choice. You and the Lord alone know how you are doing, and where your heart is. Continue having a good Lent. Isn’t it wonderful?

Thank you for the response. My question is because we let our grandchildren have candy, which is what they gave up, on Sunday because it is the day Jesus rose. That is being called into question by a friend and I was always told Sunday was considered as being outside of lent because it was the day of the resurrection. I was looking for something in the catechism concerning it.

When you choose to do something for Lent…whether give up or do extra, you set the parameters, not the church. You are encouraged to fast, pray and give alms. It’s up to you how you abide by it.

40.png
maggiec:
For as long as I can remember I was told that when giving up something for lent that you did not include Sundays because that was the day of the Resurrection.
Now I am being questioned about this practice. Am I wrong and if so please give where in the catechism I can find the information.
Thanks,
maggiec
You are not wrong:
**Emphasis **added]
2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. the faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.
tee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back