Question on Monks

• Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrooklynBoy200

Are monks supposed to stay at the monastery all the time, or can they visit family members sometimes,etc.?

Depends on the order. For instance, Trappist (OCSO) take a vow stability that essentially binds them to their Abbey and only allows them to leave for certain grave reasons, or with permission from the Abbott. Cartusians never leave (the Fathers in particular).

Other groups have their own traditions. Benedictines in the USA have been known to staff parishes and teach at colleges away from their Abbey or Priory.

Most of my exposure has been with those under the Rule of Benedict which prefers a monk to stay where he is for the remainder of his life, but times do change.

I am discerning with the Trappist myself. Trappist receive family at the Abbey, and only visit outside if the family cannot come see them (elderly parents for instance). They only leave the Abbey otherwise for trips to the market, or if they have been asked to speak somehwere (think Merton) but this is only after the Abbott gives permission.

Are monks supposed to stay at the monastery all the time, or can they visit family members sometimes,etc.?
It really depends on the group. A monk in the strict sense doesn’t normally venture out of his monastery much, and probably never visits his family. Do you have a specific order or monastery in mind?

Other male religious, like Franciscan friars or Dominicans, are not so separated from the world and probably can visit their families regularily.

I’m just checking all my options for the future. I’m not sure if i want to be a monk or a priest. I’m just getting all the facts about both of them. Thanks for the answers.

I’m just checking all my options for the future. I’m not sure if i want to be a monk or a priest. I’m just getting all the facts about both of them. Thanks for the answers.
Technically the only ones that can truly be called monks in the Latin Church are those who follow the Rule of St Benedict.

Not to muddy the waters for you but there are also brothers and friars.

Added to that is the fact that monks and friars may also be ordained as permanent deacons or priests.

Technically the only ones that can truly be called monks in the Latin Church are those who follow the Rule of St Benedict.

Not to muddy the waters for you but there are also brothers and friars.

Added to that is the fact that monks and friars may also be ordained as permanent deacons or priests.
Carthusians and one other Latin rite order do not follow the Rule of St. Benedict, so you are not quite right on that point.

Carthusians and one other Latin rite order do not follow the Rule of St. Benedict, so you are not quite right on that point.
Technically Carthusians are hermits, not monks.

We went over this in a workshop in the formation house. King Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, wanted much of the Catholic Church standarized. He ruled that only those who follow the Rule of St Benedict could be called monks in the western Church and it has been so since that day.

While other groups maybe call monastics they are not called monks.

For example, we Carmelites can be called monastics but we are friars not monks.

A monk, bound by the vow of silence, was allowed to speak two words every ten years to his superior alone.

So after his first ten years in the monestary, he met with his superior who asked if he had anything to say.

The monk spoke up, “Food cold.”

Another ten years passed. Again he met with his superior.

“What have you to share with me, brother?”

“Bed lumpy”, the monk replied.

Ten years more went by. Time for the once a decade meeting.

In walked the monk and proclaimed, “I’m leaving!”

“Well, it doesn’t surprize me,” retorted his superior. “You’ve done nothing but complain your whole time here!”

Technically Carthusians are hermits, not monks.

We went over this in a workshop in the formation house. King Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, wanted much of the Catholic Church standarized. He ruled that only those who follow the Rule of St Benedict could be called monks in the western Church and it has been so since that day.

While other groups maybe call monastics they are not called monks.

For example, we Carmelites can be called monastics but we are friars not monks.
Hermits are a type of monk as according to St. Benedict’s rule. Carthusians are monks and have always been reffered to as such by the Church.

A monk, bound by the vow of silence, was allowed to speak two words every ten years to his superior alone.

So after his first ten years in the monestary, he met with his superior who asked if he had anything to say.

The monk spoke up, “Food cold.”

Another ten years passed. Again he met with his superior.

“What have you to share with me, brother?”

“Bed lumpy”, the monk replied.

Ten years more went by. Time for the once a decade meeting.

In walked the monk and proclaimed, “I’m leaving!”

“Well, it doesn’t surprize me,” retorted his superior. “You’ve done nothing but complain your whole time here!”
:rotfl:

Hermits are a type of monk as according to St. Benedict’s rule. Carthusians are monks and have always been reffered to as such by the Church.
Carthusians are hermits. Only those who follow the rule of st benedict are called monks.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Carthusians are hermits. Only those who follow the rule of st benedict are called monks.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
I went straight to an expert on this topic (Abbot Placid at Mary Help of Christians abbey) and he says Carthusians are Monks. And again, a hermit is a type of Monk according to the Rule of St. Benedict . The Carthusians’ websites all refer to them as monks and this rulling by Charlemange is not magisterial. Show me a magisterial document that says only those of the Rule of St. Benedict can be monks in the west? Plus also the Carthusians were founded years and years after Charlamange. They have always been considered monks, and finally the Carthusians are not 100% hermits.

Here is a quote from the Rule of St. Benedict
Chapter 1
There are clearly four kinds of monks. First, there are cenobites, that is to say, those who belong to a monastary, where they serve under a rule and an abbot.
Second, there are the anchorites or hermits, who have come through the test of living in a monastery for a long time, and have passed beyond the first fervor of monastic life. Thanks to the help and guidance of many, they are now trained to fight against the devil. They have built up their strength and go from the battle line in the ranks of their brothers to single combat of the desert. Self-reliant now, without support of another, they are ready with God’s help to grapple single-handed with the vices of the body and mind."

Two more questions:
  1. Can blind people become monks? ( I’m just curious.)
  2. Do you need good grades to become a monk?
I’m just curious for these i don’t think i want to become a monk or anything.

I went straight to an expert on this topic (Abbot Placid at Mary Help of Christians abbey) and he says Carthusians are Monks. And again, a hermit is a type of Monk according to the Rule of St. Benedict . The Carthusians’ websites all refer to them as monks and this rulling by Charlemange is not magisterial. Show me a magisterial document that says only those of the Rule of St. Benedict can be monks in the west? Plus also the Carthusians were founded years and years after Charlamange. They have always been considered monks, and finally the Carthusians are not 100% hermits.
I guess you do not read what I type.

There are many types of monastics but the only ones offically called monks are those who follow the rule of St Benedict.

Friars are a form of monastics.

All Carthusian priests are hermits. They have lay brothers but their job is to help the hermits.
Here is a quote from the Rule of St. Benedict
Chapter 1
There are clearly four kinds of monks. First, there are cenobites, that is to say, those who belong to a monastary, where they serve under a rule and an abbot.
Second, there are the anchorites or hermits, who have come through the test of living in a monastery for a long time, and have passed beyond the first fervor of monastic life. Thanks to the help and guidance of many, they are now trained to fight against the devil. They have built up their strength and go from the battle line in the ranks of their brothers to single combat of the desert. Self-reliant now, without support of another, they are ready with God’s help to grapple single-handed with the vices of the body and mind."
This is the the rule of St Benedict. Sort of supports my statement.

But again, we will have to agree to disagree.

I get my information from a priest who is a professor at a seminary teaching the History of Monasticism in the Catholic Church.

Two more questions:
  1. Can blind people become monks? ( I’m just curious.)
  2. Do you need good grades to become a monk?
I’m just curious for these i don’t think i want to become a monk or anything.
It would depend on the order if they would accept blind monks but I could see a problem with the actual praying of the hours.

As for grades, it could matter because most orders require their members to get at least a bachelors degree if not some advanced degree.

It would depend on the order if they would accept blind monks but I could see a problem with the actual praying of the hours.

As for grades, it could matter because most orders require their members to get at least a bachelors degree if not some advanced degree.
Thanks. I was just playing a video game and saw blind monks on it. Inspired me to ask.

I guess you do not read what I type.

There are many types of monastics but the only ones offically called monks are those who follow the rule of St Benedict.

Friars are a form of monastics.

All Carthusian priests are hermits. They have lay brothers but their job is to help the hermits.

This is the the rule of St Benedict. Sort of supports my statement.

But again, we will have to agree to disagree.

I get my information from a priest who is a professor at a seminary teaching the History of Monasticism in the Catholic Church.
Again, show me a magisterial document where the term “Monk” is relegated purely to the Benedictines in the west. There is no where that I have found that says that. I checked Catholic Enyclopedia, the Carthusians call themselves monks, and I even asked a Benedictine Abbot.

Is it that important to know who are considered monks and who aren’t?

I suppose you are correct, I will just agree to disagree with him. I should not have continued to push the issue like that .
It’s fine, i just thougth it sounded a bit unimportant for such a long argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back