Question on prayers to bless rosaries

• Thread starter Thread starter Shiann
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shiann

I hope someone here has an answer for me.

My mother and father were in Italy over the last few weeks. They brought home beautiful rosaries as gifts for us when they visited Rome on a day trip.

They did not have time to have the rosaries blessed in Rome, but when they returned to Bologna, Italy, my mother was able to have them blessed at San Pietro church in that community.

My mother is protestant reformed, and she was unsure of the ‘steps’ one needed to take to have these rosaries blessed- so she asked the hotel receptionist about it. They told her just to go to the church, there would be someone there who could help her.

So she went to San Pietro church, and saw a man she determined was the Father, up near the front. She approached him and called “Father”. She said he turned to her right away, and was such a friendly and warm man, but couldn’t speak much English. She told them she wanted to have these rosaries blessed for her children, and he was very gracious about it, and of course agreed to do it.

He asked her to move with him over to the base of the statue of the Blessed Mother and infant Jesus, and began to bless the rosaries.

He began a very long prayer (in Italian of course) and she was unable to understand anything he said. Afterward he thanked her warmly (and she in turn) and she left.

Now when I’ve gotten my rosaries blessed over the years, and those priests have just made a very short prayer and the sign of the cross over it. So we are both curious if there was a specific prayer the italian Father might have used when he blessed our rosaries.

I was very touched that my mother would even think to do this for us- and coupled with the love and care that the Father seemed to show in this, it is just very touching to me.

So, does anyone know what blessing Father might have said over my rosary?

Yes, there’s a specific blessing to be used for rosaries. There’s a long version, a short version and a really short one that goes:

May this rosary and the one who uses it be blessed, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, + and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Yah, that short one is the one I’m familiar with.

I hope someone knows the long version… 🙂

40.png
Shiann:
Yah, that short one is the one I’m familiar with. I hope someone knows the long version… 🙂
The typical formulary is somewhat long. I recommend you visit your local parish and ask to look at a copy of the Book of Blessings. Even in applying the fair usage doctrine, it would be inappropriate to post it as copyrighted material.

It contains a hymn or song, sign of the cross, greeting, preparatory remarks, Reading of the Word of God (Lk 2:46, Acts 1:12-14, or a scripture reading taken from the lectionary common of the Bless Virgin Mary), a responsoral psalm (an excerpt from Psalm 113 is given; Lk 1:46 -55 can be “strophied” out) or suitable song, brief homily, a number of intercessions, three options for the prayer of blessing, the recition of the rosay in the manner customary in the place, and the concluding rite in which a blessing of all is conferred.

The shorter rite has a brief beginning, a place for some preparatory remarks, Luke 1:51b-52 or Acts 1:14, two versions of a prayer of blessing.

The short, short version has been posted.

As in the typical case of a blessing, there is a proclamation of the Word of God and then praise of divine goodness with petition for divine help.

(Dcn) John Cameron
Lansing MI

Thanks so much for the information.

Mom did not describe any singing or really, anything other than prayer. She said every once in a while he would smile and nod at her, but other than that- it was just spoken words.

But this info will give me a good head start. Since I can probably deduce it wasn’t the short, short version- and it wasn’t the long, long version- perhaps it was the short, long version.

😉

I think I will contact our priest and look at the blessings as you suggested.

BTW- would foreign (Italian) churches be using different blessings? (other than the language difference of course)

40.png
Shiann:
Mom did not describe any singing or really, anything other than prayer. She said every once in a while he would smile and nod at her, but other than that- it was just spoken words.

BTW- would foreign (Italian) churches be using different blessings? (other than the language difference of course)
Just to mention, the singing could have been omitted.

Apart from translations and some minor local variation, the rites of blessing are pretty much the same. It is always possible (tho I don’t know how likely it would be ) that the priest(s) at the Church in San Pietro were accustomed to using an older formula from the days before this Book of Blessings. The blessing would still be valid.

Also keep in mind that many religious Orders have special blessings for objects like Rosaries and Crucifixes that have special privileges and Indulgences attached.

Br. Rich SFO:
Also keep in mind that many religious Orders have special blessings for objects like Rosaries and Crucifixes that have special privileges and Indulgences attached.
An excellent point. Could you or anyone else think of some examples? My knowledge of which ones might have those faculties is nihl. I would guess the mendicant preaching orders, but that would only be a wild guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back