Question regarding Novena Before Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter tigers1007
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tigers1007

I have been attending daily Mass and every Tuesday at our Church, we do a Novena seeking the intercession of St. Anthony of Padua and St. Therese. After the Novena, the Priest holds an object in front of the altar and offers it to be kissed by those in attendance. I am sure that this is a stupid question, but I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what this is about and what is the proper procedure for one who approaches the altar (e.g., does one just simply kiss the object or is there something to be said first?; what is the object called, etc.). Thank you.

You do not mention what it is that the priest is holding. It is problably an icon or picture associated with miracles. At times there is veneration of the cross. The priest then holds a crucifix. At our church every Monday evening we have a novena to The Blessed Mother. The intention changes every 9 weeks. One novena might be thanks for the new church. One might be for the unborn.

Rosary is said first, then Mass, special prayers to The Blessed Mother for her intervention and then the priest, who is a Redemptorist, holds what he calls the “sacred picture”. It is a print of the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The original was considered to be miraculous. Our Lady of Petpetual Help is of special signifigance to the Redemptorists. I believe the original icon belonged to that order.

We are just expected to kiss the picture out of respect and devotion. Nothing more is required. Those with colds should not expose others. They should just reach out and touch the picture lovingly.

40.png
tigers1007:
I have been attending daily Mass and every Tuesday at our Church, we do a Novena seeking the intercession of St. Anthony of Padua and St. Therese. After the Novena, the Priest holds an object in front of the altar and offers it to be kissed by those in attendance. I am sure that this is a stupid question, but I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me what this is about and what is the proper procedure for one who approaches the altar (e.g., does one just simply kiss the object or is there something to be said first?; what is the object called, etc.). Thank you.
They might be kissing a relic of St. Anthony and St. Therese. It is a sign of respect and veneration to kiss a relic.

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back