E
Epistemes
Guest
I don’t know why I’m posting this because I suspect that I know full well how the thread will run its course as most of what will be said has been said many times in other threads.
Regardless, it’s just that I sometimes want to just give up on the saints - or, rather, not “give up on them,” as if their prayers or example isn’t efficacious (which it is), but I just mean give up asking for their intercession. I don’t see the point anymore.
If I personally don’t ask St. Joseph (or any saint, for that matter) for his intercession, does that mean that St. Joseph is going be selfish and stop praying for us? I seriously doubt it.
Or, if I have an ailing mother (which I do), am I expecting some miracle if I ask St. John Vianney for his intercession? If I am expecting some miracle, what gives me the right? Because Jesus said “ask”? Sure, I have no problem asking Our Lord, but “storming the gates of heaven” with intercessions from my favorite saint in order to try and convince Divine Providence? I mean, seriously?
Plus, it all comes down to the fact that I personally have nothing to say to the saints, not even to Our Blessed Mother, who is my confirmation saint. That may sound cold, but what am I going to say that they a.) don’t already know or have experienced, or b.) won’t just say, “Turn to the Lord!”?
Again, I’m not questioning that there is a community of saints, or that their lives and example is not worthy of emulation: I find myself often reflecting on just this. And I’m not saying that the saints are ineffective with their intercessory prayers, but repeating “ora pro nobis” seems more and more like a temporal consolation, especially in light of the fact that the saints are just that – saints – and I can’t imagine a single one not praying for the whole lot of us deranged, earthbound fools.
Regardless, it’s just that I sometimes want to just give up on the saints - or, rather, not “give up on them,” as if their prayers or example isn’t efficacious (which it is), but I just mean give up asking for their intercession. I don’t see the point anymore.
If I personally don’t ask St. Joseph (or any saint, for that matter) for his intercession, does that mean that St. Joseph is going be selfish and stop praying for us? I seriously doubt it.
Or, if I have an ailing mother (which I do), am I expecting some miracle if I ask St. John Vianney for his intercession? If I am expecting some miracle, what gives me the right? Because Jesus said “ask”? Sure, I have no problem asking Our Lord, but “storming the gates of heaven” with intercessions from my favorite saint in order to try and convince Divine Providence? I mean, seriously?
Plus, it all comes down to the fact that I personally have nothing to say to the saints, not even to Our Blessed Mother, who is my confirmation saint. That may sound cold, but what am I going to say that they a.) don’t already know or have experienced, or b.) won’t just say, “Turn to the Lord!”?
Again, I’m not questioning that there is a community of saints, or that their lives and example is not worthy of emulation: I find myself often reflecting on just this. And I’m not saying that the saints are ineffective with their intercessory prayers, but repeating “ora pro nobis” seems more and more like a temporal consolation, especially in light of the fact that the saints are just that – saints – and I can’t imagine a single one not praying for the whole lot of us deranged, earthbound fools.