Questions about Rosary and Mass for the dead

• Thread starter Thread starter ElizabethJoy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElizabethJoy

My good friend’s Mother passed away on Saturday and I would like to offer a Mass for her soul through one of the local parishes. I don’t belong to any parish, though and I don’t know how much of a gift I should pay the priest. Is a there a customary stipend? I don’t have much of an income, but what I have, I would offer gladly, but I would almost rather not offer at all if it would be offensive to the priest. (This is all very unfamiliar territory to me, yet)

I made a special rosary and have been praying the rosary for the dead and the chaplet of Divine Mercy for the eternal rest of her soul - do I continue these daily prayers until Saturday? (I seem to recall reading something regarding the first Saturday after death being significant.)

I would like to give the rosary to her daughter when I am done with it, with the note that a mass was offered and faithful prayers given for the soul of her Mother - is that appropriate?

Thanks in advance for any guidance on this matter,
Elizabeth

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/CATHFUND.htm

Karl Keeting answers this swell. Also, search in google for mass stipends for the dead and it pulls up several EWTN locations.

Basically, in the USA $5 is standard but not needed. Also, invite the family for the Mass so they can also partake in the Mass for the Dead.:blessyou:

Oh thank you!!! My heart is so much lighter! I don’t know why I didn’t think to google. I’ll google for the rest of my questions too.

I somehow thought it would be more on the order of $500 and I was trying to figure out how I would get the money together for that.

If anyone would like to add the name Margarita to their prayers for the dead this week, I would be most comforted.

Thank you, again!
Elizabeth

Around here (NYC area) it’s typically $15. Let me know if you need help! 👍

There are many Catholic missionary or religious orders that you can even mail any mass offering to and they will gladly enroll your friend’s family member in their prayers at regular mass. Any donation is accepted. Many times they will even provide a beautiful mass card as well.

If anyone would like to add the name Margarita to their prayers for the dead this week, I would be most comforted.
Consider it done for the next month. God bless.

Thank you, all,

I’m going to a local parish this afternoon to give the name and the offering for the mass.

Tantum Ergo, thank you for adding her to your prayers.

Bless you all - have a great day!
Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back