Questions concerning 'La Santa Biblia'

  • Thread starter Thread starter ZDHayden
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZDHayden

Guest
I recently purchased a gorgeous olive wood and leather bound copy of La Santa Biblia: antigua versión de casiodoro de reina (1569) from a group who sells olive wood products handmade by the Christians in Palestine. While I am currently studying Latin, I have five years of Spanish under my belt and do not want to lose it. I have searched the table of contents, and have found that it is lacking in the deuterocannon, but it has a better wording for Luke 1:28 than the New American Bible, in my opinion:
Y entrando el ángel en donde ella estaba, dijo: ¡Salve, muy favorecida! El Señor es contigo; bendita tú entre las mujeres.
Does anyone have any information concerning this translation? Since it does not have the deuterocannon, it is presumably not a Catholic translation. That is not an issue, as it is not probably going to be used for devotion (I have the Vulgate online for that, as well as various English translations), but rather for literature (I still appreciate the KJV for its literary qualities). My question concerns: is it a bad translation: i.e, is it heretical?

There is a difference between being a Protestant-sourced translation and a heretical translation; the RSV is originally and basically from Protestant scholars, but with a tiny bit of word change and add the deuterocannon, it becomes one of the favored translations by Catholics.

Thank you.
 
I recently purchased a gorgeous olive wood and leather bound copy of La Santa Biblia: antigua versión de casiodoro de reina (1569) from a group who sells olive wood products handmade by the Christians in Palestine. While I am currently studying Latin, I have five years of Spanish under my belt and do not want to lose it. I have searched the table of contents, and have found that it is lacking in the deuterocannon, but it has a better wording for Luke 1:28 than the New American Bible, in my opinion:

Does anyone have any information concerning this translation? Since it does not have the deuterocannon, it is presumably not a Catholic translation. That is not an issue, as it is not probably going to be used for devotion (I have the Vulgate online for that, as well as various English translations), but rather for literature (I still appreciate the KJV for its literary qualities). My question concerns: is it a bad translation: i.e, is it heretical?

There is a difference between being a Protestant-sourced translation and a heretical translation; the RSV is originally and basically from Protestant scholars, but with a tiny bit of word change and add the deuterocannon, it becomes one of the favored translations by Catholics.

Thank you.
Its not a Catholic translation, Casiodoro De Reina was a lutheran, he translated the text after he left Spain. I don’t know enough about it to say whether or not its heretical, sorry!

Most protestant translations are ok apart from removing the deuterocannon, the rest of the text usually conforms to the Catholic text. A heretical translation would be something like the Jehovahs Witnesses “new living translation” which was translated to fit JW theology and as such has mistranslated large chunks of text to deny the divinity of Jesus.

God Bless
 
Its not a Catholic translation, Casiodoro De Reina was a lutheran, he translated the text after he left Spain. I don’t know enough about it to say whether or not its heretical, sorry!

Most protestant translations are ok apart from removing the deuterocannon, the rest of the text usually conforms to the Catholic text. A heretical translation would be something like the Jehovahs Witnesses “new living translation” which was translated to fit JW theology and as such has mistranslated large chunks of text to deny the divinity of Jesus.

God Bless
A little correction here. The heretical version would be the Jehovah’s Witness’ New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. The New Living Translation is a dynamic translation (most popular is is the Protestant version, but they do have a unauthorized Catholic one as well) put out by Tyndale Bibles and Books. I absolutely love the translation for my prison ministry due to it’s upfront wording and ease of read.

To be honest, despite the fact of a few Protestant bibles using “gender neutral” language and don’t normally include the deutero works, there’s a wealth of knowledge out there available in different translations. I myself (keep in mind, I was preparing to become a Deacon in the UMC) own 21 different translations and they’re great to compare between to read between the lines to deepen the understanding of the teachings of the Church.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top