Questions regarding sacramentals

• Thread starter Thread starter Newvert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Newvert

Hi folks,

I returned to the Church about a year and a half ago. Since then I have tried to make up for some serious deficiencies in my Catholic education. For starters, though I had been sent to CCD, partly to Catholic grammar school and to a Catholic high school, I had never been taught how to say the Rosary. This problem was fairly easily remedied (at least in terms of form) by reading how to say the Rosary on the internet and a few pamphlets, and I also have been reading about Church history. I feel I have made some progress in these areas, but…

The fact remains that I know little about the sacramentals and don’t know where to get the info. I got some Holy Water, but, frankly and perhaps humorously, I realized afterwards that I had no idea of what to do with it. I chose a patron and I pray to him. I go to Eucharistic Adoration. I try to say the Rosary regularly (though I should do better in that area). All these things, particularly Eucharistic Adoration, have been beneficial but I still find that I need all the help I can get.

Yours prayers and comments are most welcome.

You can sprinkle some holy water on your hand and then bless yourself by making the sign of the cross - just touch your forehead, then your heart, then each shoulder while mentally saying, “In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.”

Several years ago I found for $2.00 at a second-hand bookstore a wonderful old book, “Saint Joseph Catholic Manual”, Catholic Book Publishing Co., NY, 1955. This book really spells it all out for you - Our Catholic Faith, Channels of Grace, Popular Prayers and Devotions, The Church Year, and The Lives of the Saints. See if you can find a copy - you will love it and it will help a lot.

Another good book to bring you up to speed is the "Handbook of Catholic Sacramentals,"by Ann Ball. It is a comprehensive collection of objects, actions, and practices in the Catholic faith that express religious devotion.

I love my Holy Water. Now if I could get the water tower in our town blessed I would be a happy camper. As it is I keep a ready supply on hand from my parish. Sacrementals are a wonderful grace of the church.

The Catechism say’s:
1670 Sacramentals do not confer the grace of the Holy Spirit in the way that the sacraments do, but by the Church’s prayer, they prepare us to receive grace and dispose us to cooperate with it. “For well-disposed members of the faithful, the liturgy of the sacraments and sacramentals sanctifies almost every event of their lives with the divine grace which flows from the Paschal mystery of the Passion, Death, and Resurrection of Christ. From this source all sacraments and sacramentals draw their power. There is scarcely any proper use of material things which cannot be thus directed toward the sanctification of men and the praise of God.”
For more information on Sacramentals from the “CCC”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back