Quick JW question "a god" in Jn 1:1

  • Thread starter Thread starter Catholic_Dude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Catholic_Dude

Guest
I have a bad memory. I cant remember but I think I asked this question in the past and I simply forgot the answer.

Anyway as most know the JW’s mistranslated Jn 1:1 to say “and the Word was a god” by adding the ‘a’…
Ok, so if Jesus is “a god” then how does that square with the notion there is one God and any other “god” must be false?
 
I have a bad memory. I cant remember but I think I asked this question in the past and I simply forgot the answer.

Anyway as most know the JW’s mistranslated Jn 1:1 to say “and the Word was a god” by adding the ‘a’…
Ok, so if Jesus is “a god” then how does that square with the notion there is one God and any other “god” must be false?
JW’s believe that Jesus was created by God, specifically that He is the Archangel Michael.
 
I have a bad memory. I cant remember but I think I asked this question in the past and I simply forgot the answer.

Anyway as most know the JW’s mistranslated Jn 1:1 to say “and the Word was a god” by adding the ‘a’…
Ok, so if Jesus is “a god” then how does that square with the notion there is one God and any other “god” must be false?
They also recognize that it is Jesus refered to here:

Isaiah 9:6
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us;And the government will rest on His shoulders;And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

They explain that away by saying Jesus is “mighty God” but not Almighty God.

But they recognize that there is only One True God - Jehovah. So with their thinking, it would only stand to reason that all other Gods are false which makes no sense. But JW’s are so brainwashed - it doesn’t have to make sense.
 
I have a bad memory. I cant remember but I think I asked this question in the past and I simply forgot the answer.

Anyway as most know the JW’s mistranslated Jn 1:1 to say “and the Word was a god” by adding the ‘a’…
Ok, so if Jesus is “a god” then how does that square with the notion there is one God and any other “god” must be false?
Taken from the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society’s “What Does the Bible Really Teach?”:

Regarding John1:1…"Bear in mind that this part of the Bible was originally written in Greek. Later, translators rendered the Greek text into other languages. A number of the Bible translators, though, did not use the phrase “the Word was God”. Why not? Based on their knowledge of Biblical Greek, those translators concluded that the phrase “the Word was God” should be translated differntly. How? Here are a few examples: “The Logos [Word] was divine.” (A New Translation of the Bible) “The Word was a god.” (The New Testament in an Improved Version) “The Word was with God and shared his nature.” (The Translator’s New Testament) According to these translations, the Word is not God himself. Instead, because of his high position among Jehovah’s creatures, the Word is referred to as “a god”. Her the term “god” means “mighty one”. "

The text goes on to encourage the reader to investigate for themselves by reading several bible translations to prove their point that not all translations say “the Word was God”. Of course, there are very few translations at all that say “a god” or anything like it - only a few obscure and corrupt versions. I did at one time investigate their claims and found that the New World Translation was written by men with little to no knowledge of Greek themselves, one of which was the founder of the JWs, and the consulted works from which they wrote it were very obscure and known-to-be-corrupt versions. And there was no rhyme or reason to their selection of the translation of the Greek words. The just choose what supports thier heretical doctrine. For instance, the Greek word for “worship” was translated “worship” in every instance except when it applied to Jesus, in which case it was translated “obeisance”, which, they argue, is not the same as worship. I could go on and on, but it’s been a while and I don’t have all my notes anymore.

The bottom line is, like was already mentioned, they are severely brainwashed. You can’t show them the inconsistencies, the backwards logic, or anything without actually making them feel all the more correct b/c of their “mistreatment” which “proves” they are the one true religion. They simply believe that everything you have to prove their religion corrupt is untrue and put out there by Satan to discount them. I’ve tried. Not trying to discourage you, but planting seeds (lovingly, not argumentively) and prayer are the surest means in having them see the light.

God Bless You
 
[Catholic Dude;1807858]I have a bad memory. I cant remember but I think I asked this question in the past and I simply forgot the answer.

Anyway as most know the JW’s mistranslated Jn 1:1 to say “and the Word was a god” by adding the ‘a’…
Ok, so if Jesus is “a god” then how does that square with the notion there is one God and any other “god” must be false
They respond that Jehovah is almighty God but that Jesus is lower g god.

It’s really nuts isn’t it? When I speak to JW’s I ask them about John 20:27-28 where Thomas says to Jesus “My Lord and my God!”…
"Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

I ask them why did Thomas call Jesus God if he wasn’t God, and why didn’t Jesus rebuke Thomas if he was wrong in callin Him God?

Some JW’s will say Thomas was saying my God in the slang as some people do today, but that doesn’t make sense at all since it would have been blasphemous for a Jew to use the name of God that way in Jesus’ time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top