Quick question about mortal sin

• Thread starter Thread starter Ron87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron87

Is it a mortal sin to say “Holy s***”? I know all bad language is a sin, but was wondering if this ‘phrase’ counts as a ‘mortal’ sin? I am trying to break this habit.

Last edited:
Why question it that way? Just stop saying it. There is nothing holy about it.

Unless it were attached to wrath, I’d not think it mortal. However, it is bad language, and therefore a poor example to others whom should hopefully see the light of Christ in your life as witness to you being a faithful Catholic, so stop saying it.

As @Irishmom2 said, there’s nothing holy about it. And IMO, the simple fact that you pose the question indicates you feel guilty because you know it is wrong, plus you said you’re “trying to break this habit.” Just stop it.

Thank you for the reply, as well as the reply above yours. Old habits die hard, and it’s a struggle to keep clean of sins, not to excuse it. I was attempting to figure out how bad I slipped up. It’s especially not easy while masses are currently cancelled, as well as confession as far as I know.

It was an honest question. You desired an answer. It worked out 🙂

I don’t think it rises to the level of mortal sin. It’s a figure of speech and I don’t think anyone literally thinks that one is describing “that” as “holy”. I don’t use that kind of language myself, and I find it crude as well as a sign that someone lacks a more wholesome way to express emotion.

I’d work on improving myself and elevating my mind beyond that kind of language. I do have to confess that I “dropped a bomb” the other day — a comment about parentage — when I got home and a pound of hamburger was missing from my grocery bag. (Customer service gave me a three-pound pack because that’s all they had, so all’s well that ends well, I guess.)

Last edited:
Don’t know at what level, but I do know that it is wrong.

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29

With it we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings who are made in the likeness of God.
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. This need not be so, my brothers. - James 3:9-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back