Raging Baptist mother

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExpectedIrony
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, Protestant communion is sacrilegious so no matter what don’t receive it. Also, once you can drive couldn’t you convert without telling your mom (Sense obedience to parents isn’t required when they tell you to sin).
not if your not Catholic.
 
I have to say I sympathize - I’ve been going through some of the same issues with my parents, though I haven’t told mine yet. I’m an adult living halfway across the country, and I’m still stressed out by their reaction!

I can tell you firsthand that parents are often very worried that young adults will be led astray by their dates. With the Baptist culture this seems especially strong with young women. Since you are a child they are probably unlikely to listen to your arguments. Start with small questions instead of going full-out arguing for Catholicism while you live at home.

Also, I hate to say this, but - try your very best to be the perfect child in all else. I know it is hard, but it will be easier if you can show yourself to be responsible. Do your schoolwork well and get good grades. Seek a part-time job if you can and save the money up for college. Help out around the house. Look for spiritual exercises and activities that you can share - perhaps some charitable work or prayerful devotion. And above all, do not raise your voice or speak angrily to your mother. The less fault she can find, the stronger your position will be.
 
You should pray much and patiently bear what you must bear now. You ought to love your parents and pray for their welfare. I became Catholic when I was 19 and going to college. My parents said they would kick me out of the house if I became a Catholic. However, they relented and my relationship with them always remained the same. My mother would make hurtful remarks about Catholicism even when I was 60 years old but I never let that affect my love for her.
 
Evangelizing is not disrespectful.

This is a minor child. She is not a Catholic Convert yet. To advise a child to evangelize her parents who are struggling with what they consider as good as losing a child is cruel and disrespectful.
Bill Martin;9670207:
It is objectively sinful.

To be sinful it requires an act of the will knowing one is committing a sin. A Baptist doesn’t actively commit a sin by not being a Catholic.

Protestant communion is objectively sacrilegious.
Not for protestants. They can not be held culpable for what they don’t know or understand.
 
  1. No Ex Cathedera statement was made on the matter. 2. The ultra-traditionalist have valid communion because they have valid apostolic succession. 3. The licitness of Catholics receiving communion at such churches depends on the status of the individual church.
No sir, when they went into business for themselves they ceased to be an authority. The faith of the layity is the only motive force here.
 
devoutchristian;9670409:
To advise a child to evangelize her parents who are struggling with what they consider as good as losing a child is cruel and disrespectful.
Spreading the faith isn’t "cruel and disrespectful.
Not for protestants. They can not be held culpable for what they don’t know or understand.
The OP does know.
No sir, when they went into business for themselves they ceased to be an authority.
They still have valid holy orders.
 
Do not take the thread off topic by arguing whether or not evangelizing is respectful.
 
Unfortunately you can’t do much for now. Just keep doing what you are doing and pray a lot. In a few years you will be free to convert. It is great that your boyfriend is Catholic. Fellowship with other believers is so important. This forum can offer something similar so just feel free to ask questions or ask for prayers. Your mother is probably freaking out because as far as she is concerned you are leaving true Christianity for the whore of Babylon or something 😃 Be gentle with her. Learn as much as you can about the Catholic faith and teach her about what we really believe and what our history is.

God bless.
Correct, even if you cannot convert now (and please keep in mind that RCIA usually takes about a half year) you may be covered by “baptism of desire”.

One other thing: if you have been baptized in a Baptist church, as long as it was done with water and a Trinitarian formula (“in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit/Ghost”), the Catholic Church recognizes that as valid, so all you would probably need to do is be confirned and receive First Communion (and maybe Confession). But I’m sure that would be gone over when you enter RCIA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top