Ratzinger not infallible

• Thread starter Thread starter 4_marks
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

4_marks

This needs to be dealt with to set the record straight. Some people will defend statements made by Pope Benedict XVI when he was simply the lowly Cardinal Josef Ratzinger.

Face it! Our beloved pope, like the Apostle Peter in his broken humanity, made statements that, frankly, are antithetical to the Gospel as proclaimed by the “Christ of the scriptures.”

Here are some troubling quotes from then, Cardinal Ratzinger (now Benedict XVI) which traditionalists choose to defend.

“I have nothing against people who, though they never enter a church during the year, go to Christmas Mass, or go on the occasion of some other celebration, because this is also a way of coming close to the light. Therefore, there must be different forms of involvement and participation.”
Source:Zenit News interview, Oct. 1, 2001

Response from someone defending Ratzinger:
“This quote cannot be used to condone heresy in the Church. This quote shows that people have differing depth of faith in God and faithfulness to the Mass, but that does not mean they do not accept all that the Church teaches even though their attendance may be minimal.”

“Paul [St. Paul] teaches not the resurrection of physical bodies but of persons…”
Source: Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity, (republished in 1990 with Ratzinger’s approval), p. 277

“Yes St Paul does teach this, he says nothing of flesh will enter the Kingdom of heaven and yes this is true. But there is the mystical element of the Body Of Christ and the human spirit united with this, the ‘person’ in unison with the persons of the Truine God. How this ‘body’ will be no-one knows but God. At the final Judgement the new earth and the new heaven will be made and at this point the physical body of the human creature will be considered by God. I do not know what that ‘body’ will be and neither do you, nor does our Pope Benedict XVI.”

Problem:

Quote #1 contradicts the entire message of the Gospel as portrayed by the faith communities of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Jesus is not looking for lukewarmness, and NEVER does he approve of it or pass it off. Instead, we see Jesus calling people to a radical, counter-cultural commitment to faith…so much so that they are willing to abandon family, friends, possessions for the sake of the Kingdom of God. Ratzinger’s method only condones complacency and the lack of real commitment.

Quote #2 is short sighted and shows that Ratzinger did not have the entire collection of writings attributed to Paul in mind when he made such a blasphemous statement. Paul said that if the “dead are not truly raised, then our faith is in vain. (1 Cor. 15:14)” Paul’s self-identified Jewishness precludes such a conclusion as that which was proclaimed by Ratzinger. The notion that Christianity grew out of a Jewish belief in a spiritual resurrection that evolved into a belief in a bodily resurrection as Christianity became more influenced by Hellenism is a very unlikely prospect. Additionally, the language Paul uses to describe the resurrection–most notably “soma”–emphasizes the physical nature of the resurrected person. Finally, Paul’s belief that Christians immediately went to be with Jesus upon their death, but still awaited a “resurrection” demonstrates that the resurrection being discussed was a physical one.

Conclusion: If Ratzinger was wrong on these theological points, how can he, a mere mortal man, be trusted to be correct in all other areas of theological significance. Catholics have got to stop placing there trust in mere men and begin to place their unwaivering trust in the Christ of the scriptures.

If I remember correctly, he needs to make these statements ex cathedra for them to be infallible. It sounds to me like these are merely “peronsal/private quotes.” Fear not, when the time comes the Holy Spirit will guide our new Pope when he needs to speak ex cathedra.😃

Well, of course Cardinal Ratzinger was not infallible in his own thoughts and words and actions. Infallibility is held by the Church as a whole (Magesterium) in its Deposit of the Faith, not by individual Cardinals, Bishops, priests or laity.

Now, if Benedict XVI, OTOH, either sets forth or clarifies, in words or deeds, matters of faith and morals for the Catholic Church, he will be protected with the charism of infallibility.

And naturally, with all the above, no person on earth is impeccable.

Furthermore, the statements which you have taken, out of context, incomplete, and otherwise, do not show what you purport them to show, in fact, which you claim to be heretical and denying the word of God. You might interpret them so, but your judgment, dare I say, is neither infallible or impeccable itself.

4 marks:
This needs to be dealt with to set the record straight. Some people will defend statements made by Pope Benedict XVI when he was simply the lowly Cardinal Josef Ratzinger.

Face it! Our beloved pope, like the Apostle Peter in his broken humanity, made statements that, frankly, are antithetical to the Gospel as proclaimed by the “Christ of the scriptures.”

Here are some troubling quotes from then, Cardinal Ratzinger (now Benedict XVI) which traditionalists choose to defend.

“I have nothing against people who, though they never enter a church during the year, go to Christmas Mass, or go on the occasion of some other celebration, because this is also a way of coming close to the light. Therefore, there must be different forms of involvement and participation.”
Source:Zenit News interview, Oct. 1, 2001

“This quote cannot be used to condone heresy in the Church. This quote shows that people have differing depth of faith in God and faithfulness to the Mass, but that does not mean they do not accept all that the Church teaches even though their attendance may be minimal.”

“Paul [St. Paul] teaches not the resurrection of physical bodies but of persons…”
Source: Joseph Ratzinger, Introduction to Christianity, (republished in 1990 with Ratzinger’s approval), p. 277

“Yes St Paul does teach this, he says nothing of flesh will enter the Kingdom of heaven and yes this is true. But there is the mystical element of the Body Of Christ and the human spirit united with this, the ‘person’ in unison with the persons of the Truine God. How this ‘body’ will be no-one knows but God. At the final Judgement the new earth and the new heaven will be made and at this point the physical body of the human creature will be considered by God. I do not know what that ‘body’ will be and neither do you, nor does our Pope Benedict XVI.”

Problem:

Quote #1 contradicts the entire message of the Gospel as portrayed by the faith communities of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. Jesus is not looking for lukewarmness, and NEVER does he approve of it or pass it off. Instead, we see Jesus calling people to a radical, counter-cultural commitment to faith…so much so that they are willing to abandon family, friends, possessions for the sake of the Kingdom of God. Ratzinger’s method only condones complacency and the lack of real commitment.

Quote #2 is short sighted and shows that Ratzinger did not have the entire collection of writings attributed to Paul in mind when he made such a blasphemous statement. Paul said that if the “dead are not truly raised, then our faith is in vain. (1 Cor. 15:14)” Paul’s self-identified Jewishness precludes such a conclusion as that which was proclaimed by Ratzinger. The notion that Christianity grew out of a Jewish belief in a spiritual resurrection that evolved into a belief in a bodily resurrection as Christianity became more influenced by Hellenism is a very unlikely prospect. Additionally, the language Paul uses to describe the resurrection–most notably “soma”–emphasizes the physical nature of the resurrected person. Finally, Paul’s belief that Christians immediately went to be with Jesus upon their death, but still awaited a “resurrection” demonstrates that the resurrection being discussed was a physical one.

Conclusion: If Ratzinger was wrong on these theological points, how can he, a mere mortal man, be trusted to be correct in all other areas of theological significance. Catholics have got to stop placing there trust in mere men and begin to place their unwaivering trust in the Christ of the scriptures.
I do have an unwaivering trust in Christ, Christ of the Scriptures and Christ as the Head of the Church He Built. Your statements show that you have a very limited idea of what it is the Catholic Church believes about the Pope and his Authority. You should read the Catechism from paragraph 880 to 896. Explains the basis of the belief of ex cathedra and the protection of the Faith through the Pope and the Magesterium.

Hope that helps.

Do not overlook the transformational power of the office of the pope. If former Cardinal Ratzinger fails to maintain a proper level of humility and holiness as pope, the Holy Spirit will keep him from damaging the faith.

If Pope Benedict XVI grows in humility and personal holiness, he will, aided by the Holy Spirit, become as Pope a much greater servant of God than the man Ratzinger could have as a Cardinal.

You have witnessed this truth already. The transformational power of the papal office, via the Holy Spirit, turned a fine Polish priest into a saint.

Thal59

4 Marks, you raise some interesting points and I do agree that when the current pope was Cardinal Ratzinger he was not speaking infallably in the above cases, however, he was not in the position at that stage to make statements/clarifications that would be infallable. I would like to know where I can get my hands on a copy of the interview by Zenit so I can have a better understanding of the context of the quote you have given. I think it is good that you have taken interest in the issue because it enables others who are just viewing to learn from your inquiries. God Bless ya mate!

4 marks:
Never forget that God led “mere men” to write those Scriptures, to preserve them, and to canonize them. We can trust “mere men” when they are acting at the behest of God, and we can put our unwavering trust in their words, because their words are in actuality placed on their tongues by the Holy Spirit. Consider the prophets of old.

I put my unwavering trust in Christ and the Scriptures, but I also put my unwavering trust in the Holy Spirit to guide our Holy Father.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back