RCIA sponsors confirmation

• Thread starter Thread starter Inbetweener
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Inbetweener

Would like to ask how many sponsors can there be for your confirmation at Easter. Is it ok for someone to be sponsor to multiple people. Many people helped me in my faith and I don’t want them to miss out.

Canon 892says that as far as possible there is to be"a sponsor" for confirmation.

Would like to ask how many sponsors can there be for your confirmation at Easter. Is it ok for someone to be sponsor to multiple people. Many people helped me in my faith and I don’t want them to miss out.
You may only have one sponsor, however, you may invite whomever you like to your confirmation. You can highlight their purpose with a special thankyou or small gift.

We had a huge Sacrament of Confirmation ceremony in Mass today. Some people had 1 sponsor, others 2. It was a great Mass, with the Confirmation included.

OK so some places allow one others two
From my understanding, an adult can have up to 3 sponsors if they are getting baptized and confirmed.

Baptism allows for two sponsors, as that is traditional. Those sponsors must be of the opposite gender.

From my understanding confirmation sponsors are a singular function as it is meant to be a 1:1 relationship of guidance.

However, a minimum of one sponsor is needed.

Last edited:
As I got a valid baptism so I just need a confirmation so that means only one sponsor! There have been people who are instrumental and I would like them there

Ask the person in charge of your program or your pastor. I had two at confirmation. There’s no written rule about number other than you should have one… but that’s not perceived to be a limit by most.

As I got a valid baptism so I just need a confirmation so that means only one sponsor! There have been people who are instrumental and I would like them there
I think in this case you could ask the others to be a recorded witness. This would be in canonical norms and a good priest will mark down these names for you. This would be especially good if some of these influences are not Catholic themselves.

The sponsor should be by your side for the whole RCIA process to offer support and guidance, at least that was how it was done for my wife last year. The sponsors were assigned as well, Might be unique to our parish though.

The sponsor should be by your side for the whole RCIA process to offer support and guidance, at least that was how it was done for my wife last year. The sponsors were assigned as well, Might be unique to our parish though.
I’m thinking that the OP has quite a few people in this function, which is causing the confusion.

XV, one of the requirements to qualify as a sponsor is to be a fully initiated Catholic. Non-Catholics do not meet this requirement.

Well the two or three people in mind are all Catholics, one is a Catholic sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back