J
Joeanna
Guest
So I’ve been taking my RCIA classes and little by little I find myself really confused…
Baptism? No problem
Mary? I love Mary, learning about and praying to her
Communion? Fine
so far so good…then comes confession and this is where I get lost…
Now from what I understand as long as you’re a catholic you can receive forgiveness, but if you’re a Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, etc and go to confession you’re denied that forgiveness simply because you’re not catholic. Yes it might seem weird for someone of another faith to go to confession, but I’m sure they have their reasons and who are we to deny them that? Why be so picky? Aren’t we all Gods children in the end?
Didn’t Christ walk among the sinners, the prostitutes, etc and give them forgiveness? “Come now, let’s settle this,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool.” Never have I heard him say go to a priest, I’ve always seen it as something between the person and God.
No I don’t think a person should sleep around with a dozen people one day and ask God for forgiveness the next…I don’t believe its that easy, a person needs to be really, really sorry for what he did and WANT to change his ways to be a better person. Is that not a valid way to receive forgiveness?
Sometimes the catholic church makes me feel like the only way to have a relationship with god or seek any forgiveness is through the church, not directly to Him.
And don’t get me wrong I think a priest is there for a reason, to teach and guide us…but when it comes to forgiving sin I honestly do believe its between the me and God.
Maybe I’m taking it all out of context I don’t know, but thats why I’m here to ask questions and figure out my faith. Help a girl out folks.
Baptism? No problem
Mary? I love Mary, learning about and praying to her
Communion? Fine
so far so good…then comes confession and this is where I get lost…
Now from what I understand as long as you’re a catholic you can receive forgiveness, but if you’re a Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist, etc and go to confession you’re denied that forgiveness simply because you’re not catholic. Yes it might seem weird for someone of another faith to go to confession, but I’m sure they have their reasons and who are we to deny them that? Why be so picky? Aren’t we all Gods children in the end?
Didn’t Christ walk among the sinners, the prostitutes, etc and give them forgiveness? “Come now, let’s settle this,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, I will make them as white as snow. Though they are red like crimson, I will make them as white as wool.” Never have I heard him say go to a priest, I’ve always seen it as something between the person and God.
No I don’t think a person should sleep around with a dozen people one day and ask God for forgiveness the next…I don’t believe its that easy, a person needs to be really, really sorry for what he did and WANT to change his ways to be a better person. Is that not a valid way to receive forgiveness?
Sometimes the catholic church makes me feel like the only way to have a relationship with god or seek any forgiveness is through the church, not directly to Him.
And don’t get me wrong I think a priest is there for a reason, to teach and guide us…but when it comes to forgiving sin I honestly do believe its between the me and God.
Maybe I’m taking it all out of context I don’t know, but thats why I’m here to ask questions and figure out my faith. Help a girl out folks.