Reasons to Stand During the Consecration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Neil_Anthony
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
🤷 I didn’t write the GIRM or interpret it. I only posted what it says.

Perhaps, we should disregard the rules that apply to us and keep judging priests. 🤷
OK, fine. You posted it. And apparently, the GIRM does call for interpretation, and so the “rules that apply to us” are not always clear just from a reading of the bare text itself. In some cases they are, but more so with the rubrics that apply to the celebrants and ministers. There are not that many rubrics that are directly addressed to the congregation (there are a few). For those, we look not only to the GIRM but also to subsequent interpretations by legitimate authority as well as common sense, and in some cases, longstanding custom.

I have no interest in “judging” people, priests or laity. Liturgical rules are to be followed generally, subject to the official interpretation of those rules by the competent Church authorities as I’ve shown.
 
one local parish has everyone stand after communion, despite the fact there are kneelers. I find that even stranger. at least if there aren’t any kneelers, there’s the possibility it’s just too awkward for a full congregation to manage it without significant disruption.
 
Thus,** they are to shun any appearance of individualism or division**, keeping before their eyes that they have only one Father in heaven and accordingly are all brothers and sisters to each other.
Thank you, this really answers my question. I think next time I’ll just do what everyone else is doing, then avoid that parish later if I found their style disrespectful or disobedient.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top