ReBless the Rosary?

• Thread starter Thread starter ThomasAquinas25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThomasAquinas25

I have a hand made rosary. I have a two-year-old that rosaries. Unfortunately, my handmade rosary and the two-year old don’t mix well. I ended up with one of the decades missing two beads and an Our father bead. I could not find them (praying that they did not go down the two year olds gullet — he’s fine BTW)

I went to the bead store and got the beads to replace the missing ones. Do I need to have those beads blessed or the whole rosary blessed or being that this is a damaged sacramental should I bury it.

Which brings me to another question. What is the difference between praying the rosary on one that has been blessed as a opposed to one that is not. Any less grace?

I may know less than you. I was Baptist (now waiting for RCIA class to start).

When I bought two rosaries at the Catholic bookstore (one for me and one for my wife) hers was already blessed before I bought it (it had a St. Benedict medal – exorcism). I took them both to my parish priest to bless (since I knew my parish priest). So they are blessed. The blessing didn’t take him much time anyway. I’m sure that those of us who don’t know much better on such a minor matter as this aren’t sinning in God’s eyes.

When I gave my wife her rosary, she was somewhat startled (we are still Baptist after all – and she doesn’t know yet of my thoughts to attend RCIA). But she figured any blessing is a blessing. And she wanted to buy similar rosaries for our children. I figured let her do it (not me) to see if she really wants them and if God is working on her too.

So two days ago she bought some very nice rosaries for our children (St. Mary medals). The Catholic store clerk said anyone can bless a rosary. And suggested she just pray over them and stick them in a Bible. So my wife has already done. She wants to have a rosary in each child’s bookbag when they go back to school. We live in Virginia USA.

I suppose if anyone can bless a rosary, then it is additionally blessed every time we use it in prayer. If so, go ahead and bless it often.
Carrying a rosary to a public school isn’t a problem I hope. In France, I think it may no longer be permitted at this time. So sad, considering how the French love Liberty.

Only an ordained member of the clergy (priest or deacon) can bless a rosary, or any other sacramental.

Using a blessed sacramental “devoutly” carries a partial indulgence, if I’m remembering right. More than that, the blessing sanctifies or “sets apart” the object being blessed for a Godly purpose, in this case prayer.

Re: broken rosary being reblessed, it can’t hurt to have it blessed again. I’m really not sure if it would “need” to be or not. :confused: My understanding is that an object loses its blessing if it ceases to resemble what it was in the first place, which is why you can burn something blessed instead of burying it (if it’s flammable, that is :D) But I’m not 100% sure on this one.

I was told once that when you pray with a blessed Rosary, you are joining your prayers with those of the whole Church. When your Rosary is not blessed, you do not - you are basically praying alone - not a bad thing, but not as good as praying with the whole Church.

The clerk in the religious goods store needs some education. It is not correct that anyone can bless an object - as stated in an earlier post, only a priest, as representative of the whole Church, can do that.

How happy you must be that your wife is interested in sharing the Rosary with your children. God bless you all!

Betsy

Wow.

So if I pray with a blessed rosary my prayers are joined with those of the whole Church? If I pray according to God’s will (to repent of some sin), is it like the whole church is praying with me?

No wonder Padre Pio said the rosary is the weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back