Received the call in Mass today!

• Thread starter Thread starter Lady_Cygnus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lady_Cygnus

Now, today has been an interesting day. During Mass I was sitting looking across at the Dominican brother on the other side of the church and I suddenly realized that I really wanted to be a sister. As I realized this I started crying and I’m not sure why. I wasn’t sad, shocked or even they type of joyous happiness that would bring one to tears. I’d say the feeling would have to be described as giddy, but in the good sort of way; I felt like laughing!

When the brother came up to the pulpit to beg for money he described the Dominican life and listed several parts; unfortunately I do not think I remember them all. Those I do remember are prayer, community, study, and teaching against heresies. Everything he said seemed to click, I realized more and more that I want to become a Dominican sister. I think I practically danced out of Mass. :dancing:

So I’ve been called…I never expected it to be like this. How odd I should be called first slowly, then so suddenly it takes my breath away! It’s exciting! Now I only need to…hmmm…Find a community, get accepted, sell everything and get rid of my college debt. But if the Lord wills this like I feel he does, then I’m sure He’ll find a way! 👍

…This is just a short blurb from my blog, if anyone wants to read the rest of the (perhaps boring 😉 ) details it’s The Northern Cross

At first I thought you meant a phone call and was trying to figure out why the smiley face was next to your post :confused: Then I read it and now I understand - LOL! I’m so glad that you have found your calling. Peace be with you!

I was educated by Dominican sisters and I thank God for what they did for me every day. we will be praying for you.

How exciting for you! In my “younger” years, I considered becoming a sister, too, but never had the call. I was quite disappointed at the time. My calling was to be a wife and mother, but I never had a “light bulb moment” for that, just a slow awakening that this is where I was meant to be. You have been blessed to receive such a clear calling. How wonderful that you were open to receive His call. God must really want you to be there! 🙂

Lady Cygnus:
…This is just a short blurb from my blog, if anyone wants to read the rest of the (perhaps boring 😉 ) details it’s The Northern Cross
I think you mis-typed the address; I got a “page not found” error.

Thanks for all your congrats and prayers! 🙂
40.png
farmbabe1:
How exciting for you! In my “younger” years, I considered becoming a sister, too, but never had the call. I was quite disappointed at the time. My calling was to be a wife and mother, but I never had a “light bulb moment” for that, just a slow awakening that this is where I was meant to be. You have been blessed to receive such a clear calling. How wonderful that you were open to receive His call. God must really want you to be there! 🙂
Actually I was expecting more of a gradual change and before Mass yesterday I had reached the point of looking into it and considering a vocation retreat. As I’m someone who only makes a decision after much consideration…and perhaps detailed excel tables…having a sudden lightbulb moment is kind of scarry for me, but I’m also so happy!
40.png
5-Decades-a-Day:
I think you mis-typed the address; I got a “page not found” error.
And yes, I did mistype it. It’s here 😃

Lady Cygnus:
Those I do remember are prayer, community, study, and teaching against heresies.
The four pillars of Dominican life are:

1. *] Prayer
    *] Community
    *] Study
    *] Preaching

Preaching includes teaching of sacred doctrine, which involves opposing heresies. So you remembered everything pretty well.
    Lady Cygnus:
    Everything he said seemed to click, I realized more and more that I want to become a Dominican sister. … So I’ve been called…
    As a cloistered nun? Or a sister who is not cloistered? (Or do you know?)

Either way, I welcome you to the Order. 🙂

hurst

Lady Cygnus:
When the brother came up to the pulpit to beg for money he described the Dominican life and listed several parts; unfortunately I do not think I remember them all.
I don’t think it’s quite correct to say that the Dominican brother was “begging” for money. I think it’s more correct to say that he was announcing that some of the dollars in your (pl.) pockets had a vocation to the Dominican order. He was saying to those dollars, “Come, follow me…”

😃

40.png
5-Decades-a-Day:
I don’t think it’s quite correct to say that the Dominican brother was “begging” for money. I think it’s more correct to say that he was announcing that some of the dollars in your (pl.) pockets had a vocation to the Dominican order. He was saying to those dollars, “Come, follow me…”

😃
:rotfl: LOL :rotfl:

As a cloistered nun? Or a sister who is not cloistered? (Or do you know?)
I don’t know, that’s why I stuck with the generic ‘sister’ instead of saying ‘nun’. At this point I’m still open to both options, but I am sure I will know that when the Lord feels I’m ready to.

I suppose that the Lord is giving me a push to start actively looking into different communities, although I’m not entirely sure why. I’ve still got at least seven years before my student loans are paid off :rolleyes: , but I’m sure He has His reasons 😃
40.png
hurst:
The four pillars of Dominican life are:

1. *] Prayer
    *] Community
    *] Study
    *] Preaching

Preaching includes teaching of sacred doctrine, which involves opposing heresies. So you remembered everything pretty well.

Either way, I welcome you to the Order. 🙂

1. Oh good, I was afraid I’d forgotten something. Thanks! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back