Receiving ashes and mortal sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PerfectTiming
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PerfectTiming

Guest
I meant to take confession last weekend but I felt my examination of conscience was inadequate so I decided to go next weekend instead. I forgot about Ash Wednesday being today and am now unsure about whether it’s okay to have the ashes on your forehead if you’re in a state of mortal sin. I do want to attend mass this evening either way and just want to be sure.
 
As far as I’m aware there is no reason for you to go to confession before you receive the ashes, I haven’t read anything that says so but I’m interested to hear what other members have to say.

I’m not even a Catholic yet and I was able to receive them.
 
Ashes are a sacramental, not a sacrament, so you don’t have to be in a state of grace to receive them. It sounds like they’ll serve as a sign of your repentance. I’m sure you already know this, but if you’re aware of having committed a mortal sin then you should go to confession before receiving communion. But do go ahead and receive the ashes.
 
I meant to take confession last weekend but I felt my examination of conscience was inadequate so I decided to go next weekend instead. I forgot about Ash Wednesday being today and am now unsure about whether it’s okay to have the ashes on your forehead if you’re in a state of mortal sin. I do want to attend mass this evening either way and just want to be sure.
You can receive the ashes, you don’t even have to be Catholic, it’s only communion you should not receive at Mass if you’re not in a state of grace, it’s the same as the Easter Vigil, we receive holy water and renew our baptismal promises no matter the state of our soul, there sacramental, not a Sacrament.
 
Not only allowed but advised. It is the remainder of our death, and that we had to be prepared, so go to confession as soon as possible.
 
I am now unsure about whether it’s okay to have the ashes on your forehead if you’re in a state of mortal sin. I.
absolutely it is okay to receive ashes in the state of any kind of sin since it is a sign of penitence and contrition, and acknowledgement that we all are sinners facing just judgement.
 
Thanks everyone. I went to mass earlier and received the ashes but obviously didn’t take communion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top