Recent Convert, Questions about Prayer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomas1981
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thomas1981

Guest
I converted to Catholicism on Easter Vigil this year. I’m very excited about the Church and my conversion and God has blessed me with amazing signs and grace. I think that I excel at the intellectual aspects of the Church like reading and interpreting the Bible, understanding doctrine and theology, etc. I think that I also am fairly adept at some of the more meditative aspects like Eucharistic Adoration since I learned some secular and Buddhist meditation techniques while I was searching and wandering. I can get into a deep meditative state fairly well. However, I haven’t actually prayed much in a long time, specifically vocal prayers, asking for blessing for myself and others, for the Church etc. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the richness and complexity of the prayer life of the Church. Ultimately, I think this richness is a good thing! But, I think it makes it hard for a beginner to know where to start. I’d like to make prayer a good habit, something that I do every day and do it from the heart. I say the rosary sometimes, but sometimes that can feel a bit too rote and I get into a more or less hypnotic state. Can anyone offer advice on how to get into good prayer practice?
 
One of my favorite books which I often recommend is, “Into the Silent Land,” by Fr Martin Laid.

He guides the reader through the beginning stages of contemplative practice.

I would recommend some other sources, but you’ll have to PM me.

Jim
 
I converted to Catholicism on Easter Vigil this year. I’m very excited about the Church and my conversion and God has blessed me with amazing signs and grace. I think that I excel at the intellectual aspects of the Church like reading and interpreting the Bible, understanding doctrine and theology, etc. I think that I also am fairly adept at some of the more meditative aspects like Eucharistic Adoration since I learned some secular and Buddhist meditation techniques while I was searching and wandering. I can get into a deep meditative state fairly well. However, I haven’t actually prayed much in a long time, specifically vocal prayers, asking for blessing for myself and others, for the Church etc. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the richness and complexity of the prayer life of the Church. Ultimately, I think this richness is a good thing! But, I think it makes it hard for a beginner to know where to start. I’d like to make prayer a good habit, something that I do every day and do it from the heart. I say the rosary sometimes, but sometimes that can feel a bit too rote and I get into a more or less hypnotic state. Can anyone offer advice on how to get into good prayer practice?
If I were you, I’d start simply, with saying an “Our Father” once in the morning and once at night. This is the prayer given to us by Jesus Himself, and, if you take the prayer seriously, the most powerful prayer on the planet.

It praises God (Our Father, Who art in Heaven hallowed be thy name), tells Him that you want to do His will (thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven), asks him for our daily needs (give us today our daily bread), forgiveness (and forgive us our trespasses), help for forgiving others (as we forgive those who trespass against us), and help in avoiding sin and all things that lead us to sin (and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil).

Everything you could ever ask for in a prayer is in the “Our Father”.

Say the prayer slowly and prayerfully, listening to the words as you say them. Eventually, you may feel called to add prayers (such as the Hail Mary & Glory Be), and meditative prayers (such as the rosary - by the way, it’s designed to be meditative and draw you out of yourself. That’s why it’s so rote. I mentioned a year or so ago on a different thread that the purpose of Catholic meditation is to focus on God, while the purpose of Eastern meditative practices is to focus on the inner self or nothingness, depending on the tradition), but each person is called to pray differently.

Regardless, though, the most important part of the prayer life of the Church is going to Mass each Sunday and Holy Day of Obligation (and more often, if possible), and frequent Confession and reception of the Holy Eucharist.
 
If you would like to add to your prayers and just pray some additional and different prayers, here is a nice prayer book that you can purchase that you might find helpful. It is the “New St. Joseph People’s Prayer Book.”

I have an older version of this, and I think that it is very nice. Amazon carries this, but other on-line Catholic retailers do too, for a similar competitive price. Here is a link for Amazon, with a description of it:

amazon.com/Peoples-Prayerbook-Francis-Evans/dp/0899429017/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1428447060&sr=8-12&keywords=st.+joseph+prayer+book
 
Rosary, Rosary, Rosary! If I were to have any last words before I die, it would be to pray the rosary everyday! Fly to the Blessed Mother of God! You cannot stray away if you stay close to the Mother of God.

Guide on how to pray the rosary: rosary-center.org/howto.htm#loaded

Here are the fifteen promises of those who devoutly pray the rosary:
themostholyrosary.com/15promises.htm

Here is a monastery that survived the atomic bomb explosion on Hiroshima because the monks prayed the rosary: taylormarshall.com/2011/07/atomic-bomb-rosary-and-fatima.html

There are plenty of Rosary miracles that have happened in history.
Look up and learn about the some of Our Lady’s apparitions as well.
 
I converted to Catholicism on Easter Vigil this year. I’m very excited about the Church and my conversion and God has blessed me with amazing signs and grace. I think that I excel at the intellectual aspects of the Church like reading and interpreting the Bible, understanding doctrine and theology, etc. I think that I also am fairly adept at some of the more meditative aspects like Eucharistic Adoration since I learned some secular and Buddhist meditation techniques while I was searching and wandering. I can get into a deep meditative state fairly well. However, I haven’t actually prayed much in a long time, specifically vocal prayers, asking for blessing for myself and others, for the Church etc. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the richness and complexity of the prayer life of the Church. Ultimately, I think this richness is a good thing! But, I think it makes it hard for a beginner to know where to start. I’d like to make prayer a good habit, something that I do every day and do it from the heart. I say the rosary sometimes, but sometimes that can feel a bit too rote and I get into a more or less hypnotic state. Can anyone offer advice on how to get into good prayer practice?
Another idea is to do a prayer journal - you can remember what you’ve prayed for and go back when you notice how God may have answered your prayer. For me it’s easier to take a piece of paper and write down what I want to say.
 
Opening up the Psalms and let David and the poetry speak for you. Excellent place to find the emotions that you want to lend to your own words.

Remember, too, that the Holy Spirit prays for us as well.

Paul tells us this in Romans 8:26:

In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words

Such a great promise for us!!
 
One of my problems is that I have difficulty keeping my mind focused for an “Our Father”, let alone a whole rosary…

One good piece of advice I once got was to imagine myself at the bottom of a river, with boats floating along the surface. My distracting thoughts are the boats. The thought comes, but I look at it from afar, and don’t hold onto it… and it drifts away. In the meantime, I keep my focus on the words I’m saying, the thoughts behind those words, and the intentions for which I’m praying. If you have several levels of “thought” all running concurrently, it’s relatively easy to assign each one something positive to dedicate itself to.
 
I converted to Catholicism on Easter Vigil this year.
I’d like to make prayer a good habit, something that I do every day and do it from the heart. I say the rosary sometimes, but sometimes that can feel a bit too rote and I get into a more or less hypnotic state. Can anyone offer advice on how to get into good prayer practice?
Hi. I also came into the Church this Easter. Very exciting stuff!

The rosary is a great habit to get into. I started doing it during RCIA, and had trouble at first. Reading the prayers off a card and trying to meditate upon the mysteries was a little tough for me. I can’t chew gum and walk at the same time.

With practice though it got much easier. I’ve come to enjoy the meditation aspect especially. I often find myself discovering some new aspect of a mystery that I had never previously considered. I love it when that happens.

Taking the time to slow down and really put life into the prayers and delve into the mysteries makes a huge difference. I used to do it ‘once in a while’. Now I don’t let a day go by without a Rosary.

If that isn’t your cup of tea, I also recommend saying a prayer first thing in the morning.

I usually start the day off with something akin to “O Lord, please look down upon me today. Give me the graces and strengths I need to resist temptation-- whether it comes from the world, the flesh, or the devil. Help me do do good works for your glory. Amen.”

And if you say grace before meals, thanksgiving after meals, and pray before retiring to bed, congrats. You’ve prayed through the whole day.

It’s a great way to keep your eyes fixed on Christ as we make our way through the world.
 
It’s most important to remember that prayer takes many forms. Silence can be prayer if offered up to God. Actions such as helping someone put their groceries in their car at the neighborhood super market can be a prayer. The Catholic faith has many, many prayers that can be prayed (not just said) any time or for very specific times. I carry The Catholic Book of Prayers with me most days because it contains prayers for a wide variety of needs and it makes it easier to focus on God and be less focused on getting the words theologically accurate.
 
I always like the “glory be…”, the “our father”, the “guardian angel prayer” and the “apostle’s creed”. The Rosary is a good way to pray when you are wide awake. At night I fall asleep sometimes while praying the Rosary. I have a St. Augustine prayerbook and a St. Joseph prayerbook. Just reading the Bible can be praying to me.
 
The rosary is a great start. Do you simply state the mystery you are meditating on at the beginning of each decade, or you read a scriptural passage first?
There are many simple pamphlets and small books available that will give you an appropriate scriptural passage. This gives an added dimension to the rosary. St. Pope John Paul II wrote that without the contemplative dimension, the rosary loses its meaning. It is against the background of reciting the Hail Mary’s that we view the principal events of the life of Jesus Christ take shape.
The Liturgy of the Hours (LOTH) is the prayer of the Church. Through it each hour of the day is sanctified. While traditionally prayed by those in consecrated life, laity are encouraged to join in this prayer of the Church as well. The main two hours are Morning (Lauds) and Evening (Vespers) Prayers, traditionally prayed at 6am and 6pm. No need to be a stickler about time.
The Angelus developed during the Crusades, traditionally also prayed at 6am, 6pm, and noon. It is one of many pious devotions that have developed over time.
The traditional time for Prayer of Divine Mercy is 3pm.
As you develop your prayer life, remember to take it slowly. You are just starting out. Like an individual beginning a physical training regime, it better to start small and add then to just plunge in.
It is great if you are already reading Scripture on a daily basis. Most of us do not have the time to go to daily Mass, but 15 minutes of Scripture reading a day is great. Lectio Divina is also a way to meditate on scripture, and to use scripture as a basis for your prayer life.
 
I converted to Catholicism on Easter Vigil this year. I’m very excited about the Church and my conversion and God has blessed me with amazing signs and grace. I think that I excel at the intellectual aspects of the Church like reading and interpreting the Bible, understanding doctrine and theology, etc. I think that I also am fairly adept at some of the more meditative aspects like Eucharistic Adoration since I learned some secular and Buddhist meditation techniques while I was searching and wandering. I can get into a deep meditative state fairly well. However, I haven’t actually prayed much in a long time, specifically vocal prayers, asking for blessing for myself and others, for the Church etc. I’m a bit overwhelmed by the richness and complexity of the prayer life of the Church. Ultimately, I think this richness is a good thing! But, I think it makes it hard for a beginner to know where to start. I’d like to make prayer a good habit, something that I do every day and do it from the heart. I say the rosary sometimes, but sometimes that can feel a bit too rote and I get into a more or less hypnotic state. Can anyone offer advice on how to get into good prayer practice?
Prayer starts with either the personal conversation with God,or the standard vocal prayers.

The personal is simply putting yourself in the presence of God before beginning. That means remembering and realizing who it is that is living in grace right with us in our own soul. That Jesus presence in grace is there and that that is who we are talking to. Otherwise our conversation might just be a monologue with ourselves…that is our own thinking within ourselves and not directed to him. It is easy to forget that we are talking to him. And in doing this we open up to him as we would a very close friend, sharing with him all that is currently going on in our life at the moment. Being perfectly honest and hiding nothing, and appreciating the fact that he is there because he loves us. So knowing his presence in us is very important in order to keep it prayerful and not just a lot of thinking.

The standard vocal prayers, of which there are many, are fruitful if we remember to think about what we are saying in a meditative manner. The pace of the prayer is important in that this prevents the error of just reciting words. Sometimes it does help to slow down a bit and think in order to mean what we say. This type of prayer takes both attentiveness of the mind and the devotion of the heart if is to be a real prayer. To just repeat words without thought or love is no prayer at all. But a good vocal prayer is one where we give ourselves in our soul to God thru thought and love.

But personal prayer and vocal prayer is not the end of our prayers but just the beginning. The next step in our prayer growth should be meditation and contemplation. These are a bit advanced, and for further understanding there are books which teach these types of prayers. But the first two, vocal and personal, will always be used to some extent.

May the risen Christ fill you with his joy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top