Reconciliation on Holy Saturday

  • Thread starter Thread starter SawGodThere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SawGodThere

Guest
I was unable to make it to a penance service yesterday and today (work conflicts that I could not avoid), and I need Confession before Easter. It seems, however, that none of the local parishes in my area are offering Confession on Holy Saturday. Is this just a diocese deal, or is this a whole Church deal. I heard a while back that no sacraments could be performed on Good Friday and Holy Saturday, but I believe that I recall JPII being available for Confessions on Good Friday. Also, there was a blog entry I read that said there is no reason why Confessions could not be heard on Good Friday or Holy Saturday. If there is anybody that knows of a Confession service on Holy Saturday in the Middle Tennessee area, please let me know. Thank you for any clarifications. Also, please keep Middle Tennessee in your prayers, we were hit by several tornadoes today, the airport was closed for a while, as were many of the major interstates. Fortunately, there were not many fatalities (fewer than 10 I believe), but there are several people with severe injuries. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.
 
SawGod, I suspect this “no confessions from Good Friday to Easter” is a modern, post-Vatican II innovation, the same way that putting sand or pebbles in the holy water fonts during Lent is. I browsed some websites of parishes in my area because I needed to go to Confession before Easter too (was able to go on Good Friday though, thank God) and none of them had scheduled confessions after Good Friday; some explicitly stated that there would be no confessions after the Good Friday liturgy. However, the Society of St. Pius X church I plan on attending for the Paschal Vigil, as well as other traditional parishes in the area, DO in fact have scheduled confessions on Holy Saturday. If I were you, SawGod, I would phone the church and see if you can meet with a priest to hear your confession sometime on Holy Saturday before Easter. Some priests will also hear you confession if you approach them directly, but I would call ahead just to be safe. Have a blessed Easter. :harp:
 
My pairsh had confessions yesterday (Good Friday) and wil lhave them this morning as well. The thing is that there a lot of preparations going on today and if you are in a one preist parish he might not have the time to hear confessions today. We are fortunate to have 4 priests with us at this moment.
 
I If there is anybody that knows of a Confession service on Holy Saturday in the Middle Tennessee area, please let me know. Thank you for any clarifications. Also, please keep Middle Tennessee in your prayers, we were hit by several tornadoes today, the airport was closed for a while, as were many of the major interstates. Fortunately, there were not many fatalities (fewer than 10 I believe), but there are several people with severe injuries. Please keep them in your prayers. Thank you.
I don’t know the geography of Tennessee at all, but you might try to locate a monastery, shrine or retreat house in your vicinity. The priests there will most likely NOT be involved in the parish preparations that make this weekend incredibly busy for our pastors.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top