Reconciliation service

  • Thread starter Thread starter kristie_m
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kristie_m

Guest
I got to go to mine last night, was disappointed in the turnout, but that’s another topic. Here’s my thing…I go pretty regularly, once a month or so. The timing didn’t work out well for me last month and I found it’s been almost two months. I really struggled with the individual confession, nearly lost my nerve and walked out before doing it. I’m not sure what the issue is, exactly. I KNOW confession is good for me, and helps keep me on track. And I have a regular confessor who is amazing. Yet I still get nervous and tongue tied. I struggle with the same stuff over and over. All I can think about is I have to go in there and say “Bless me Father, I did it again!”

Anyone else struggle with this? How do you get past it?
 
Honestly, the longer I wait, the longer it takes and the more out of the routine and spiritual shape…

Twice a month at minimum is a good rhythm…

Once a week if necessary…

Builds up the habit, and you don’t have as much to confess and get more focused on beating it because you’re confessing and so facing it directly and what you need to do to stop it often.

Though I miss having a parish nearby with confession before every mass. That can be a great help and get you really focused if you’re going to the daily.

Confession is easier with a regular habit of it, a set routine.
 
All I can think about is I have to go in there and say “Bless me Father, I did it again!”
:rotfl: When I was in my 20’s I struggled with a habitual sin. I always went to the same kindly old priest. I’d confess the sin, and he’d ask if he had heard my confession before. Then, dejectedly, I’d say, “It’s me again.” Then he very patiently would go on to give some great advice and absolution.

Hang in there - the grace will work eventually if you keep trying. Time to look up that great regular confessor!

Betsy
 
I got to go to mine last night, was disappointed in the turnout, but that’s another topic. Here’s my thing…I go pretty regularly, once a month or so. The timing didn’t work out well for me last month and I found it’s been almost two months. I really struggled with the individual confession, nearly lost my nerve and walked out before doing it. I’m not sure what the issue is, exactly. I KNOW confession is good for me, and helps keep me on track. And I have a regular confessor who is amazing. Yet I still get nervous and tongue tied.** I struggle with the same stuff over and over.** All I can think about is I have to go in there and say “Bless me Father, I did it again!”

Anyone else struggle with this? How do you get past it?
We all struggle with the same stuff over and over. Mostly, these are our predominant faults, whatever they may be, and are the result of habit. It is so easy to fall into a habit, and so difficult to change that habit!

We need to remember that the road to holiness is a life-long one. It is also possible that we have at least one predominant fault that we will never completely conquer. This can be because of our own lack of real trying, but it can also be something that God permits to keep us from worse faults or sins, such as the sin of pride.

The devil likes to suggest to us that we are damned because we have not turned into canonizable saints within a year or two!! Becoming a saint does not mean never falling, but always getting up and starting over (with an act of contrition and regular confession).

Never give up.
 
Honestly, the longer I wait, the longer it takes and the more out of the routine and spiritual shape…

Twice a month at minimum is a good rhythm…

Once a week if necessary…

Builds up the habit, and you don’t have as much to confess and get more focused on beating it because you’re confessing and so facing it directly and what you need to do to stop it often.

Though I miss having a parish nearby with confession before every mass. That can be a great help and get you really focused if you’re going to the daily.

Confession is easier with a regular habit of it, a set routine.
Actually, it was my confessor/spiritual director that recommended once a month unless I’ve not some really serious sin to confess. Most of mine are venial…but problematic nonetheless. The funny thing is, he was the one that I went to the other night and I STILL got nervous! Don’t know what’s wrong with me. 😊
 
I try to go once a week…it makes it easier for me. I need to graces!!!
 
Actually, it was my confessor/spiritual director that recommended once a month unless I’ve not some really serious sin to confess. Most of mine are venial…but problematic nonetheless. The funny thing is, he was the one that I went to the other night and I STILL got nervous! Don’t know what’s wrong with me. 😊
lol. 😃

It might help, if you think it can – try it, if more often helps you get used to it, let your director know it helps. They are not all seeing, it’s a cooperative effort. 🙂

Whatever you tell your confessor, don’t be too concerned about how that person thinks of you. What’s important is that you feel sorry, repent, and think of new ways to make progress to conquer the sins which you truly put into practice. 🙂

I hope people give you better advice than I have so far, but maybe it’ll help. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top