reducing sin

• Thread starter Thread starter anonymoususer
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

anonymoususer

I am very aware of my sinful nature and its implications. I’ve came to a conclusion (it certainly may be incorrect); my objective in this life is to sin as little as possible. But, as a married parent of 4, how can I do this? For example, keeping the sabbath holy? How do you do that when you have a million chores around the house and work 5 or 6 days a week? I guess I feel like the best way I could reduce sin is to check into a monastery, pray constantly, give away everything I have, volunteer every free moment of my time to worthy causes, and do everything possible to walk with the Lord. Is this a reasonable thing to do for a married parent of 4? I am aware of Jesus’ statement in the Gospels; whoever doesn’t hate their mother, brother, sister, daughter, etc. is not worthy of being my servant (paraphrase). I am getting sick of going to reconciliation every week and confessing the same sins; Forgive me Lord, for I have failed to love You with all my heart, soul, strength, and mind. I have failed to love my neighbor as myself. I have failed to keep the sabbath holy. The Lord asked us to love Him with all your heart, soul, strength, and mind. Am I loving Jesus with all my heart, soul, strength, and mind if I am working 9 to 5, mowing the lawn, doing chores, taking my kids to a movie? Am I loving my neighbor as myself if I am not giving away everything I have?

Also, does anyone else talk to the devil on a daily basis? I do, and it scares me. I can hear him over my shoulder constantly, battling with God for my soul. When I was younger, I thought of the devil as a big slobbering drooling evil monster that was easy to see. I know better now; I know he is subtle; I know he wants me to be lazy; I know he wants me to procrastinate; I know he wants me to do things that make me feel good; etc. etc. etc. does anyone else have this problem?

Dear Anonymous,
I guess I feel like the best way I could reduce sin is to (paraphrased with my emphasis)

1. *]check into a monastery,
    *]pray constantly,
    *]give away everything I have,
    *]volunteer every free moment of my time to worthy causes,
    *]hate their mother, brother, sister, daughter, etc.

1. It seems to me from reading your post that you have a distorted notion of what it means to avoid sin. This is not something we do, in order to be “good people.” Unless it is based on love of God and flows outward from Jesus living within us, it is just keeping rules. This alone has no power to save us, has it? If it did, the folks in the Old Testament would never have needed a Savior.

We pray at mass, “Though HIM, with HIM, and in HIM, all glory and honor is yours, Almighty Father, forever and ever.” I see no mention in your post of HIM (Jesus) as one that you ardently love and turn to for strength. Rather, I sense your exaggeration of the gospel message and resentment about your futility and inability to live it, no?

Rather than go to confession, it might be a good idea to go a face- to-face confession in a private appointment and discuss all of this with your priest.

I have read the memoirs of many religious, and living in a religious community does NOT reduce the opportunity to sin. The challenges are different, but they are there just the same.

We are called to be loving and faithful wherever we are. Playing “the grass is greener (holier)” is never productive. Alas.

Reading your post, I was reminded of myself. I also used to think it was about “not sinning” but I think it is more complex than that. It is very challenging when raising a family and tending to a home etc, to do as we feel we ought in response to God. I used to ask myself the same questions as you do in your post.

Here is what I have to offer. Stay in contact with God, pray, and accept, accept, accept. Accept that you may sin, and that you will pick yourself up and try again. That is part of our condition. Accept that your multitudinous responsibilities are real, valid and of immense importance. Resist the urge to see them as blocks between you and God, or you and righteousness. That is a very dangerous line of thinking. Rather, they are blessings, and are just as capable of leading you to God, as away. You can use them to bring you closer to the Lord.Raising a family is an act of charity and giving. You may not get the kudos and recognition of one who goes on a mission trip or builds a habitat house, but what you are doing is just as important. Never lose sight of that.

You have been entrusted with the blessing and responsibility of raising God’s own children. That is not a second class job or calling. The call is to love, trust, be faithful in all things. You can do that right where you are. Do not despair.

cheddar

I think the real point of life is to seek God. Sinning is bad because we are turning away from Him, stopping our search for Him and seeking something less important that will give us only temporary happiness. Fortunately the road to God is never closed to us, so we can always get back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back