Regarding my earlier post 'Help with an obession'

• Thread starter Thread starter Stylus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stylus

:confused: I’ve been doing a lot better with the ‘promise problem’ but I tend to run into trouble with earlier promises that I made BEFORE I was forbidden to make anymore. Were they valid promises? They had nothing to do with pleasing God or making sacrifices- I just made them for stupid reasons. I’m hoping that I don’t have to keep them but I’m afraid to ‘break’ them. What do you think?

Haha, luckily I found this, since I too used to do this (I have OCD). But, I know God knows the minds of those whove have disorders and since Mortal Sins need to be full of consent or willingness you wouldn’t have any fault if you have a disorder.

But, if you with willingness got on your knees and made a foolish vow, then you need to go to confession.

Hope that helps.

Stylus said:
:confused: I’ve been doing a lot better with the ‘promise problem’ but I tend to run into trouble with earlier promises that I made BEFORE I was forbidden to make anymore. Were they valid promises? They had nothing to do with pleasing God or making sacrifices- I just made them for stupid reasons. I’m hoping that I don’t have to keep them but I’m afraid to ‘break’ them. What do you think?

Forget about them. Live in the present moment, not the past or the future. Nothing makes God happier than when we spend time with Him. If you’re constantly worrying about this or that, you’re spending time with your worries and not with God, aren’t ya? 😉

Just let it all go.

Mike

New Advent has something about this. But I can’t remember where to find it. Also, New Advent is like asking someone for the time and getting instructions on how to build a watch. What I remember I think (and correct me if I am wrong), but promises or vows made without sufficient consideration are not binding.

Scott

If one makes a promise for an insufficient reason, in my mind that requires insufficient consideration to the reason used. Being ordered you to not make any more promises is an indication to me that your spiritual advisor has already made the determination for you that the promises you were making were generally poorly considered in the first place. Start with a clean slate and try to work on establishing some thinking patterns that do not involve “serious” promises about mundane matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back