Relational Identity

• Thread starter Thread starter JamesATyler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesATyler

I figured I would ask this here, but I don’t know if it belongs in the philosophy forum.

I don’t embrace the left/right political identity. I have disliked it from the beginning of my interest in politics.

Republican, Conservative, Democrat, or Liberal seems better because the are whole things.

If anyone here has insight, if I identify as “right” doesn’t it somehow include the “left” to complete the whole identity? In the same way that being a brother or sister implies a sibling.

Does this have a psychological effect, due to the whole identity, both left and right, include both positive and negative thoughts and emotions? Has anyone studied something like this? Wouldn’t it be better to reject an inner identity that includes a relationship like this?

Edit: Actually wouldn’t conservative/liberal also be a spectrum? How can I reflect on being one thing without also seeing what I may dislike, dispise, or hate?

Last edited:
Does this have a psychological effect, due to the whole identity, both left and right, include both positive and negative thoughts and emotions? Has anyone studied something like this? Wouldn’t it be better to reject an inner identity that includes a relationship like this?
From a psychological point of view, it would be better to reject any identity founded upon something false.

There is a common trend in the world today to encourage people to identify, or associate their sense of self, with all manner of nonsense–politics, race, gender, religion, country, etc.

And what has been the effect of this trend? Tribalism, fanaticism, mistrust, fear, offense, pain.

Any identification with one thing naturally carries with it a separation from something else. Thus, we unnecessarily construct barriers between ourselves and our fellow human beings. When we project our sense of self into something that is external to who we are, we create sources of pain for ourselves and others.

Let’s say, for example, we identify with a political party, then someone attacks that party. Because we have falsely projected our sense of self into that party, we feel attacked. We feel an urge to defend that party, even when it is wrong. Look at the rise of biased reporting in the media, in which both sides criticize the faults of the opposing party, and then ignore or justify the same behavior when it is committed by their own party. This inability to perceive reality clearly arises due to identification.

Why would we want to trap our mind within falsehood and delusion? Is there not enough confusion and pain in the world?

Actually wouldn’t conservative/liberal also be a spectrum?
This.
People are rarely all one side of the other.
However, certain opinions tend to be found in clusters, like a self-labeled feminist also being self-labeled pro choice.
But always get to know people as an individual.

I find it easier to consider by issue rather than by party or spot on the spectrum.

The reason we even have a left-right spectrum and they are called that is that at the beginning of the French Revolution representatives were seated that way. (article)

But altho politics is placed on a spectrum, that is just a superficial way of organizing it.
Does this have a psychological effect, due to the whole identity, both left and right, include both positive and negative thoughts and emotions? Has anyone studied something like this?
I think another problem is the consequent grouping of opinions and inability to consider issues one-by-one in a rational way. If we have a problem, we think of ways to solve it that align with party interests, not common sense.

I am not sure people think about their stance on politics and then chose a party; instead I think all too many people go with where the people they think are cool are. They are sort of tribal before they are political.

Last edited:
Nowadays you have to vote for someone that will prevent a greater evil. In this cases, the forces of hell are pushing the killing of children, the destruction of marriage and forcing gender ideology in schools. Do the right thing, vote for Trump, imperfect as he may be.

Thanks for the responses. I guess it follows that if I should reject tying my personal identity to exterior things and especially to spectrums which cause a range of emotions, I should also not identify others that way. If I do that, I reduce the identity of others to a spot on a spectrum or to some exterior organization.

Edit: Even being Christian isn’t an identity. It implies a relationship. If I am Christian, it means I follow Jesus Christ. Aren’t all religions a relationship? Buddhists follow Budda. Muslims follow Mohammad. Being Jewish implies a relationship with Abraham who was chosen by God. Right?

Last edited:
In very broad strokes, liberals tend to be like “change all the things!”, while conservatives tend to be like “protect all the things!”.

And to be fair, part of being well-rounded is knowing what to protect and what to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back