Religion is the search for answers to the fundamental questions about human existence…

• Thread starter Thread starter stoplooklisten
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stoplooklisten

Religion is the search for answers to the fundamental questions about human existence…Where did we come from? Where are we going? What is the meaning of life? Religion expresses itself in the search for God. As we gather answers in our search, we become obligated to respond honestly to the answers we find. One response is worship of our Creator.

Please agree or disagree and discuss.

Morality is connected to how we use our abilities and freedoms. We can do good and evil by the deeds we do and the deeds we neglect to do. There are sins of commission and sins of omission. Prudence can lead us to act or to refrain from taking action. As we discover truth, we become obligated to act in response to that truth. Freedom is linked to responsibility

Last edited:
I agree. I would add that it is natural for humans to seek to transcend this world. As humans are body-soul composites, and the soul is not of this world.

Not only that, but it also contains Revealed Truth.

Last edited:
Philosophy per se may say such, and with that I would have no disagreement.

Theology states that there is a God, He has over time revealed himself to us, and religion is the response to God’s self revelation.

The two are not contradictory.

Religion is the search for answers to the fundamental questions about human existence…Where did we come from? Where are we going? What is the meaning of life? Religion expresses itself in the search for God. As we gather answers in our search, we become obligated to respond honestly to the answers we find. One response is worship of our Creator.

Please agree or disagree and discuss.
Religion is as you say. But it’s much more than that for Christianity. It is the belief that God has revealed himself to us, walked among us, and revealed to us our destiny. It is an invitation to an eternal relationship with God.

Last edited:
Where did we come from? Where are we going? What is the meaning of life?
Those questions also gave birth to philosophy, ancient philosophy is rich in trying to answers those questions. For example look at Thales of Miletus, Socrates, Democritus, Anaximenes, Heraclitus, Aristotle, and many other.
Religion expresses itself in the search for God.
Some religions search for God and some are here to spread His word and His revelation to men. In some religions you cannot find God at all,(like buddhism, which is sometimes called atheistic religion), it is more about to be liberated of suffering (and whole life is suffering).

Philosophy per se may say such, and with that I would have no disagreement.

Theology states that there is a God, He has over time revealed himself to us, and religion is the response to God’s self revelation.

The two are not contradictory.
Indeed, philosophy is the handmaid of theology. The Ancient Greeks modeled extensive study of philosophy (including metaphysics, which the OP is after), before attempting theological study.

The study of philosophy is sorely needed in schools today.
Deacon Christopher

The problem is that oftern governments confuse “philosophy” curriculums with “sociological ideologies” curriculums. In my case, I went to a catholic school, and philosophy was taught at the last year, so it was a nice and well rounded course of philosophy throught history (from Socrates to Levinas); but I don’t think public schools would receive the same privilege.

Last edited:
buddhism, which is sometimes called atheistic religion
I don’t pretend to be knowledgeable about Buddhism, but from what I have observed, it seems more to be non-theistic and atheistic; that is, it does not (as I understand it) posit that there is no God; it simply does not ask or answer that question.

Amen to that, Deacon!

Would that we could have more people trained in critical thinking.

Well it is true, they don’t look for God in our sense, their focus is more on man and enlightenment than is on God and spirituality.

Last edited:
I think religion is everything you describe, but as others have said Christianity is more than that. It is also a freedom…not an opiate but a freedom from fear, anger, lust, anxiety, etc. It is the the understanding that …“This too will pass, and there is something greater than all of this”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back