Religious Orders

• Thread starter Thread starter wolverine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wolverine

My inquiry relates to the various religious orders in the Catholic church. I’m currently a college student, in the process of conversion to the Catholic faith, and I’m deeply interested in the religious life. I’ve thought about it since my days at a Jesuit high school, and although I’m not yet Catholic, I feel strongly that the Lord is calling me to serve His Church.

Anyway, I’ve spent several great years in the company of Jesuits (some very good ones indeed), but lately I’ve read more than a few articles (some by Jesuits themselves!) indicting the Society of Jesus for, among other things, disloyalty to the Church and Her leadership. These accounts worry me, to be frank, because one of my primary reasons for becoming Catholic is my reverence for the authority of the Church and its active leadership of its members. I don’t think that I could comfortably serve in an order where strong distaste for such authority is endemic.

Some of my worries regarding the Society of Jesus and its current state have led me to investigate other orders, e.g., the Legionaries of Christ. I’ve read some promising accounts of their work but also some fairly harsh criticisms of their, among other things, interference with ordinary parish life.

So my general question, I suppose, is: are certain orders more conducive now to faithful service of the church and its leadership, while others are more prone to heterodoxy and dissent? Or am I simply being fooled by sensational media accounts of religious life? I’d appreciate any comments or suggestions that may be instructive in these matters.

I think you will find faithful and dissenters in any group. The SJ’s have had their problem members but also have some great ones. Fr. Mitch Packwa comes immediately to mind. (He even discusses some of these problems in his book, “Catholics and the New Age.”) There is undoubtedly hype about dissent in the media - who love to portray the Catholic Church as being in turmoil. There is also, undoubtedly, some truth to be found there as well.

I guess the important point is not to let the hype - or even the reality - dissuade you from investigating a potential call to religious life. After all, even if you find dissent, God may want you, by your example of faithful holiness, to be one of His instruments of change!

You will be in my prayers!

Thank you very much for your insight, theMutant. I’ve had thoughts similar to yours all along, I think, but have been especially caught up in media hype lately. I appreciate your prayers, and I’ll be sure to look at Fr. Pacwa’s book, as I’ve heard wonderful things about him and his work!

Hello wolverine,

A great site to check out for religious vocations is The Institute of Religious Life: religiouslife.com, which has great article and profiles of many religious communties (male and female), and also some priests.

Also there is the FSSP for priests: fssp.org/ and if you are in North America, also: fssp.com/main/index.html

Both sites contain useful information about a religious vocation. I myself want to join the religious sisterhood in the future.

May God bless you in your discernment!
Lily628

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back