Reservations about a friend

  • Thread starter Thread starter fin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fin

Guest
Several weeks ago a friend told me that they received travel vouchers to a nearby country given by their supplier. She asked me if I was interested, since they still have extras they are selling. I said that I’m interested, but I need more details like the total costs, date of travel and so on. She said that it’s around $1000-1500 maximum pax all inclusive except for pocket money. I thought it was expensive, so I did a little research on the plane fares going to that places, hotel rates, and tour fees and visas. I figured that it still didn’t add up to a thousand dollars.

I asked my sister if she thinks going to this place would amount to such. She was incredulous and said it was very expensive, and that if I want to go there, there are other cheaper ways. She was also wondering why my friend was selling me the voucher which she got for free. If she was selling it at discount, it would be a good deal. My friend emailed again asking if I’m still interested since the extras are still up for grabs, reinstating that it’s all inclusive and the travel agency would be the one in charge for everything. I just said that I’ll have to decline. I didn’t say that I did some research; I just said that I didn’t know it costs a lot to go there. 🤷

Today is Saturday and I have some time going through my stuff. I was looking through travel brochures this morning, which I got from a travel exhibit I attended. I saw travel agency leaflets on tours going to this place, and true enough the prices are around $650 - 850, all inclusive like visa, tour, hotel, food etc.

I know this is just something minor, but I can’t help I’ve been had (although I didn’t accept the offer). I know she said that the $1000 maximum are just an estimate but it’s still at a premium. And their flying economy and it’s pretty near. If it’s for farther places it would have been believable. For our currency a $200 difference is already big. Anyway this is just something I want to get off my chest, and I hope I’m not being unreasonable.
 
I would have just said that sounds more expensive than other trips I’ve seen advertised. It’s the truth. Why wouldn’t you have a frank discussion, and give them the opportunity to explain themselves? If they are trying to sell you some thing they should be prepared to answer all your questions about it. I think it’s better to discuss your doubts, because they may have good answers. As it stands you don’t trust a friend…
 
As it stands you don’t trust a friend…
I think the important question here is whether the OP has good reason to not trust this friend. Based on the info the OP provided, it could be construed to mean that the friend was peddling some vouchers that she got for free for an amount that exceeds their value. If that were indeed the case, the OP has very good reason to not trust this “friend.” In fact, what her friend is doing could even be illegal, if the vouchers are deemed non-transferable and/or she’s not a verified distributor of those vouchers, or it could be considered scalping.

In any case, I think it’s good that the OP did her own research, and I would be wary of this “friend.”
 
I would have just said that sounds more expensive than other trips I’ve seen advertised. It’s the truth. Why wouldn’t you have a frank discussion, and give them the opportunity to explain themselves? If they are trying to sell you some thing they should be prepared to answer all your questions about it. I think it’s better to discuss your doubts, because they may have good answers. As it stands you don’t trust a friend…
I have to agree. It is never a good idea to jump to a conclusion without first communicating with the person. After all, what kind of friend are you if you don’t even give this person a chance to explain herself. Perhaps the hotel is a 5 star, perhaps it is expensive season.

Just be honest with her and say 'I have seen this trip in a brochure at a much smaller price. Why are your tickets so expensive? Do they included something I have missed. And also ‘If you are getting these tickets for free, I am curious as to why you are charging me so much?’

Now, I must admit, I do see red flags and would be very careful not to fall for some ‘fast talking’ but still, I would have a discussion

CM
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top