Responsorial psalms?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Don9of11
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Don9of11

Guest
Where can I find responsorial psalms that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops?

During Sunday’s of Lent for the responsorial psalm our choir has been singing Be Merciful, O Lord - Psalm 1 for Lent by Marty Haugen. Is this still an acceptable psalm?
 
The only approved responsorial psalms are the 150 psalms contained in the psalter.
 
The only approved responsorial psalms are the 150 psalms contained in the psalter.
That’s not really correct:
In the dioceses of the United States of America, the following may also be sung in place of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary for Mass: either the proper or seasonal antiphon and Psalm from the Lectionary, as found either in the Roman Gradual or Simple Gradual or in another musical setting; or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of the psalms and antiphons, including psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. (GIRM ¶ 61)
As for the OP’s precise question, this has been a regular topic of conversation at MusicaSacra; you might want to look through some of these threads and see if you can sort through the opinions and discussion. I don’t think the USCCB as a whole has specifically approved any particular collections of psalms, but according to Professor William Mahrt, “I believe the American bishops have given approval for anything approved by the bishop of the diocese in which things are published.” That would include, I think, whatever collection (OCP?) your choir is using.
 
As for the OP’s precise question, this has been a regular topic of conversation at MusicaSacra; you might want to look through some of these threads and see if you can sort through the opinions and discussion. I don’t think the USCCB as a whole has specifically approved any particular collections of psalms, but according to Professor William Mahrt, “I believe the American bishops have given approval for anything approved by the bishop of the diocese in which things are published.” That would include, I think, whatever collection (OCP?) your choir is using.
For Marty Haugen it is likely GIA, (not OCP).

The question I would have is whether it is proper translation of the psalm. It’s never been clear to me if the older psalm versions (prior to the last psalm translation change) are still acceptable.

Psalm 51 is one of the seasonal psalms for Lent.
 
For Marty Haugen it is likely GIA, (not OCP).

The question I would have is whether it is proper translation of the psalm. It’s never been clear to me if the older psalm versions (prior to the last psalm translation change) are still acceptable.

Psalm 51 is one of the seasonal psalms for Lent.
The problem with Marty Haugen is that he tends to take liberties with the text. You can use a seasonal psalm; however, when a composer starts to fool with the texts, his edits may wind up taking away much of the meaning of the psalm. Mary Frances Reza from OCP also has a habit of doing that with her renderings of the psalms.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top