Retreat Sites in UK/Ireland

• Thread starter Thread starter runnerryan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

runnerryan

Does anyone know any good monasteries or retreat houses in Ireland or the UK? I’m thinking about spending about a week on retreat in late February/early March 2006 after finishing up a pilgrimage quarter in Europe with my classmates from Mundelein Seminary.
I might want to meet with a director during the retreat, but I am not looking for a full blown Ignatian style directed retreat (which are great but these are already part of the formation I am receiving).
A retreat site in a good location for hiking and running would be a definite bonus.

Ryan Larson
Diocese of Joliet Seminarian
Mundelein Seminary

ryan.e.larson@us.army.mil

Hi,

I work at a Franciscan Friary Retreat Centre in North Wales, they have group retreats or private retreats and you can ask for a directed retreat if you wish.

You will either stay in the friary itself (usually big groups) or in a house attached to the friary and you will receive 3 meals a day in the refectory.

Morning Prayer and Mass 8.00am

Rosary and Evening Prayer Mon - Thurs 6.00pm

Exposition & Benediction Sat 6.15pm Sun 3.00pm

Holy Hour Friday 5.30pm

Confessions Sat 11.30am and during Exposition and at call.

In the grounds out side there is the National Shrine of St. Pio where you can go and pray and Mass is occasionally said in there.

There is also a replica of Calvary that was dug out on the side of the mountain by the early Franciscan Brothers, which you can walk up. All the stations are made out of mosaics and there is a huge Crucifix at the top and below carved in to the mountain is a replica of the Sepulchre.

There is also a Rosary way that leads up to a replica of Lourdes grotto where you can sit and pray.

It is situated in a small hamlet and the local town (Trefynnon / Holywell) is only 4 miles away or an hours walk; in Holywell there is an old Catholic Church that was once a Jesuit House and below is the famous Holy Shrine of Saint Winefride where you can go and bathe in the Holy Water.

If you need more info, PM me and I will give you the address and phone number of the Friary.

Thanks Pious for your post and your PM.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back