Reverence to receive Communion

• Thread starter Thread starter kwitz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kwitz

I think that a fairly recent (within the last year) document suggested that a sign of reverence should be made before receiving Communion. In our archdiocese, St. Louis, that was specifically said to be a reverent bow. (which after 30 years of not bowing is a very hard habit to learn!).

My questions are these - what document did this come from? is the bow specific to my archdiocese, ie were individual bishops able to interpret what was appropriate for their flock?

Thanks.

Kris

40.png
kwitz:
I think that a fairly recent (within the last year) document suggested that a sign of reverence should be made before receiving Communion. In our archdiocese, St. Louis, that was specifically said to be a reverent bow. (which after 30 years of not bowing is a very hard habit to learn!).

My questions are these - what document did this come from? is the bow specific to my archdiocese, ie were individual bishops able to interpret what was appropriate for their flock?

Thanks.

Kris
Its in the GIRM

I think we were always supposed to make some sign of reverence. At least as far back as I can remember. I could be wrong though.

A sign of reverence was prescribed, but it could be a bow, a Sign of the Cross, a genuflection, or kneeling. Then the new GIRM “mandated” Communion standing and a bow of the head as a sign of reverence.

From Inaestimabile Donum:
11. The Church has always required from the faithful respect and reverence for the Eucharist at the moment of receiving it.
Code:
        With regard to the manner of going to Communion, the faithful can receive it either kneeling or standing, in accordance with the norms laid down by the episcopal conference: "When the faithful communicate kneeling, no other sign of reverence towards the Blessed Sacrament is required, since kneeling is itself a sign of adoration. When they receive Communion standing, it is strongly recommended that, coming up in procession, they should make a sign of reverence before receiving the Sacrament. This should be done at the right time and place, so that the order of people going to and from Communion is not disrupted."[21]

The "Amen" said by the faithful when receiving Communion is         an act of personal faith in the presence of Christ.
ewtn.com/library/CURIA/CDWINAES.HTM

The Bishops of the United States have determined that the norm for receiving Holy Communion is standing, and that the bow of the head is the expected sign of reverence.
Sorry, can’t find the exact quote at the moment.
(Edit: see below)

Here it is:
The new edition of the General Instruction asks the Conference of Bishops in each country to determine the posture to be used for the reception of Communion and the act of reverence to be made by each person as he or she receives Communion. The Conference of Bishops of the United States has determined that in this country Communion will be received standing and that a bow will be the act of reverence made by those receiving. These norms may require some adjustment on the part of those who have been used to other practices, however the significance of unity in posture and gesture as a symbol of our unity as members of the one body of Christ should be the governing factor in our own actions.

usccb.org/liturgy/girm/bul5.htm

And yet, we are still allowed to genuflect, and even to kneel, in order to receive Holy Communion. It is a canonical right and can not be abridged - even by the USCCB. So, you can in fact genuflect, or kneel, when receiving Holy Communion. It is simply that the USCCB feels that it is better to nod the head and stand.

As for me, I would prostrate myself before Him if I could, yet I can not reasonably do so. However, I will humble myself by falling on my knee, as is the tradition (I know how much we hate that word) of the Latin, or Roman, Church. If my knee is to bend at the Name of the Lord, how can I do anything else while in His Presence?

A serious lack of humility blights the Church in the West from the top down. Be humble before your Lord and don’t cop out under the false logic reasoning of “orderly procession”. Come, come now…intellectual dishonesty to be sure. If you must nod, then do so, but don’t foist your impertinence, or, laziness upon the rest of us.

There…I feel better…I can get off of my soap box now. 😉

Your unworthy brother in Christ and by the Grace of God a future priest,

Donnchadh

In my parish, we were recently reminded that the designated sign of reverence was a slight bow of the head, not a profound bow. I believe that is technically correct; I just think it is strange how quick they are to correct “over reverence” when most of the congregation fails to do certain things that are called for in the GIRM and the priest violates Redemptionis Sacramentum in more than a dozen places, including some grave violations. Interesting how that doesn’t seem to warrant attention.

Our church has been instructed to bow in reverence to the presence of Christ. It is also an act of humility to chose not to stand out but just follow as one of the masses (bad pun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back