Righteous vs Sinful Anger

• Thread starter Thread starter Cuthberts
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cuthberts

Hi, I am unclear as to how the distinction lies regarding sinful vs righteous anger.

On one hand, I have heard that it is righteous to be angry in some cases. The example I can think of is the anger that Simeon and Levi had when their sister was raped by the Sichemites (I am reading the DRV, and this is what the footnotes state). However, sinful anger would be resenting somebody because they acquired something you don’t have, for example.

I am unclear in my case which this is. In my country, we have had riots where people are protesting (like the Americans) against a comparatively minor issue. Police brutality is almost non existent here, and the only people who have been killed by police are terrorists and criminals pointing weapons at police. However, in spite of this, they have desecrated the national war memorial and are trying to commit mass iconoclasm by pressuring local governments to destroy statues of 400-year-old men, who while guilty of racism, have statues for the reason of their philanthropy.

Now, my great-grandfather is commemorated by this war memorial, as he died selflessly for this country, and these people are very clearly motivated by the destruction of the country he sought to protect. This is not an issue of racism in the same way as it is in the US. I am not angry at particular people either, I am getting angry at the tremendous lack of respect these people show to a country that has raised them and shed its blood in long wars against injustice.

Is this sinful?

Here’s how I view Anger:

God loves everyone including sinners, but sin angers him. Excellent model and guild to follow.

If you are Angered and want to ‘harm’ someone…it’s sinful anger…and it probably Anger’s God. Thus I stay away from that.

Anger is the appropriate emotional response to a threat, either to yourself or a loved one. The emotion is morally neutral.
What you do with that anger is where moral issues come in.

I hope a pastor will chime in with his thoughts.

In the meantime, my own thought is that anger is a morally neutral emotion. At the same time… this is a personal take, but I think of ‘anger’ as sort of an emotion that gives us a foreshadowing of how absolute God’s justice is (and a reminder of the reality of hell). Because God’s love and mercy are absolute – but for those who don’t accept the mercy, the justice (with the resulting hell) is also absolute. And the absolutist intensity of both love and anger foreshadow these realities to us. And while I’m not suggesting God ‘feels’ anger in the same way we creatures do… we do know from Holy Scripture that ‘anger’ is an appropriate word for how God looks at injustice. Mercy and love are arms perpetually and absolutely open: justice and anger are a sword perpetually and absolutely cutting off.

All that rambling just to say… remember that in this life, we don’t want to cut off other people. Our anger is right to reject evil, but the people committing the evil are not to be rejected, but to be tenderly, generously, and self-sacrificially loved. Even in the midst of their sins. That doesn’t mean declining to warn them of their sins (in fact, love requires us to try to help our neighbour grow in the knowledge of good, and learn to avoid evil)… but we may have to be most patient and self-humbling at exactly the moment our anger (however understandably) flares up. Otherwise we may be ensnared in the same current that has swept away our neighbour, and have our own eyes blinded to the ‘third way’ out of this situation. In my experience, my natural reaction to injustice is rarely the reaction that will actually make things better.

Our enemies in this situation are powers and principalities: we must not (this side of death) call ‘enemies’ any human person. Until they make the final choice at death between eternal friendship or enmity with God, we must consider them friends – however confused friends – and try to help them in the battle against the powers they may themselves be overwhelmed or whipped up by. They may not help us help them. But in this life, our role is to try.

Also, since you have a personal family connection to this memorial that was vandalized, maybe that gives you something extra to offer up to God: your own forgiveness for the grief (and any other impact) the vandals have caused you by disrespecting the memorial of your great-grandfather and other fallen soldiers, and your personal request for God to forgive the vandals. This may be a painful prayer to pray, but I imagine God will use it to grow you all the more, for that reason.

Last edited:
I am unclear as to how the distinction lies regarding sinful vs righteous anger.
It’s a good question because all too often people use their righteous anger to justify sin.

“Well, he had it coming!”
“Those people have dangerous ideas. They don’t deserve my respect!”
"I’m just venting about her . . . " (Ah, gossip!)

My take: If righteous anger leads to positive, productive actions, including attaining appropriate justice, (not just revenge!), then it’s not a sin.

For myself, when I have troubles with sinful anger (or what I think is sinful anger) I simply confess it and listen to the priest.

Also, the emotion of anger is very exhausting, and prolonged can make you sick.
You can also “feed” your anger by constantly reminding yourself of the original injury or bringing up past grievances. Usually not a good idea.

…I am not angry at particular people either, I am getting angry at the tremendous lack of respect these people show to a country that has raised them and shed its blood in long wars against injustice. …
If there is no tinge of hatred and no desire for revenge then it is not sinful. It is laudable when accompanied by a reasonable desire for justifiable punishment.

Staff apologist at Catholic Answers, Fr Serpa, answers a similar question here:
40.png
Doesn't Jesus' anger contradict being sinless? Ask an Apologist
Ok, so. Jesus was without sin…Sinless. Jesus was angered in the temple and at the fig tree. Anger is one of the seven deadly sins… So…How is he without sin…
This article also talks about the difference between “righteous” anger vs “sinful” anger:

St Alphonsus Liguori also preached a good sermon on “sinful” anger here:

SERMON XXXIV. FIFTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST. - ON THE SIN OF ANGER (page 142)

http://www.catholicapologetics.info/scripture/newtestament/liguori.pdf

Fr Callan and Fr McHugh also talk about the different types and degrees of anger in their work “Moral Theology” (the work has the nihil obstat and imprimatur):

Anger.—Anger is sinful when it deviates from reason, as to its matter or its manner.

(a) Thus, it is unreasonable as to its matter (i.e., its vengeance) when it punishes unjustifiably (e.g., when the person punished is innocent, when the penalty is excessive, when the legal order is not followed, when the motive is not justice or correction, but hatred, etc).

(b) It is unreasonable as to its manner (i.e., the degree of excitement felt or shown) when temper goes beyond measure. Great anger is not sinful when a great evil calls for it (e.g., the anger of Our Lord against the money-changers in John, vi. 14 sqq.; that of Mathathias against the idolatrous Jew in I Mach., ii. 24); but to fly into a rage at nothings or trifles is sinful.

Gravity of the Sin of Anger.—(a) If anger is sinful on account of its matter, it is mortal from its nature as being opposed to charity and justice. He that is angry against his brother is worthy of hell fire (Matt., v. 21, 22). It may be venial, however, on account of imperfection of the act (e.g., the sudden impulse to strike down those who do not agree with one’s opinions) or the lightness of the matter (e.g., a slap or push or box on the ears given a naughty child when a word of reproof would have sufficed).

(b) If anger is sinful on account of its manner, it is venial from its nature; for excess in an otherwise indifferent passion is not a serious disorder (see 2450). But the sin may be mortal by reason of circumstances, as when an angry person acts like a wild man, curses and swears, breaks the furniture, gives serious scandal on account of his position, or the time or place, or injures his health by the violence of his paroxysm.

Is Anger a Graver Sin than Hatred and Envy?—(a) As to its matter, anger is less grave than hatred and envy, for it pursues evil under the guise of spiritual good, pretending at least that the harm it intends is just, whereas hatred and envy pursue evil precisely as it is injurious to another, or as it is a means to one’s own temporal and external good or glory. Likewise, anger is less grave objectively than concupiscence, for the voluptuous man aims at utility or pleasure, whereas the revengeful man aims at what he makes believe is just.

(b) As to its manner, anger surpasses the vices mentioned in certain of its violent manifestations. The infuriated man, when crossed, creates a scene and makes a fool of himself; his blood boils, his face is flushed, his eyes dart fire, he froths at the mouth and trembles, he pounds, stamps and bellows like an enraged bull.

Anger as One of the Seven Capital Vices.—(a) It has a certain preeminence in evil. Its matter is quite attractive, for revenge is sweet and the cloak of just retaliation makes it seem good; its manner is powerful, for it drives one on to dare even the most shocking crimes.

continued….

(b) It is the spring of many sins. In the heart anger produces indignation against the object of displeasure, whom the angry man looks upon as base and unworthy, and soreness about the treatment of self, which fills the mind with plans of revenge. Sins of the mouth due to anger are incoherent cries of rage, words of contumely and blasphemy (Matt., v. 22), while its sinful deeds include quarrels and every kind of injury.

Sinful Indulgence.—Sinful indulgence, which is opposed to meekness by excess, is often a mortal sin on account of the grave harm it inflicts upon the common welfare and the protection it affords to crime. Thus, Heli was seriously reproved and punished because he winked at grave disorders, or at least was too easy-going in his corrections (I Kings, ii, iii).

Last edited:
Scripture tells us “be angry and sin not”. When we are in the emotional state of anger, it lowers our “guard” and we more easily sin. Best thing to do is recognize the anger and overcome it.

Righteous anger arouses one to take righteous actions. Simply getting angered at evil in itself can be sinful if we just stew in it or have contempt or hatred for others. If it makes us double our efforts at prayer and penance or good deeds it can be a good thing. For those in authority, if it causes them to execute justice, it is a good thing.

St. Thomas explains:
Chrysostom [Hom. xi in Matth. in the Opus Imperfectum] says: “He who is not angry, whereas he has cause to be, sins. For unreasonable patience is the hotbed of many vices, it fosters negligence, and incites not only the wicked but even the good to do wrong.”

Anger may be understood in two ways. On one way, as a simple movement of the will, whereby one inflicts punishment, not through passion, but in virtue of a judgment of the reason: and thus without doubt lack of anger is a sin. This is the sense in which anger is taken in the saying of Chrysostom, for he says (Hom. xi in Matth., in the Opus Imperfectum, falsely ascribed to St. John Chrysostom): "Anger, when it has a cause, is not anger but judgment.
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3158.htm

Otherwise, anger is sinful when deliberated consented to:

St. Robert Bellarmine, Seven Words on the Cross:
Now, the reason why the sight of an enemy makes the blood boil in the very veins of some people is this, that they are animals who have not yet learnt to bring the motions of the inferior part of the soul, which are common both to mankind and to the brute creation, under the domain of reason; whereas spiritual men are not subject to these motions of the flesh, but know how to keep them in check; are not angry with those who have injured them, but, on the contrary, pity them, and by showing them acts of kindness strive to bring them to peace and unity.
continued…

Last edited:
continued from above…

St. Ephrem:
You have a spiritual nature; the soul is the image of the Creator; honour the image of God, by being in agreement with all men. Remember death, and be not angry, that your peace be not of constraint. As long as your life remains to you, cleanse your soul from wrath; for if it should go to Sheol with you, your road will be straight to Gehenna. Keep not anger in your heart; hold not fury in your soul; you have not power over your soul, save to do that which is good. You are bought with the blood of God; you are redeemed by the passion of Christ; for your sake He suffered death, that you might die to your sins. His face endured spitting, that you might not shrink from scorn. Vinegar and gall did He drink, that you might be set apart from wrath. He received stripes on His body, that you might not fear suffering. If you are in truth His servant, fear your holy Lord; if you are His true disciple, walk in your Master’s footsteps. Endure scorn from your brother, that you may be the companion of Christ. Display not anger against man, that you be not set apart from your Redeemer.

If you are angry against your neighbour, you are angry against God; and if you bear anger in your heart, against your Lord is your boldness uplifted. If in envy you rebuke, wicked is all your reproof. But if charity dwell in you, you have on earth no enemy. And if you are a true son of peace, you will stir up wrath in no man. If you are just and upright, you will not do wrong to your fellow. And if you love to be angry, be angry along with the wicked and it will become you; if to wage war you seek, lo! Satan is your adversary; if you desire to revile, against the demons display your curses. If you should insult the King’s image, you shall pay the penalty of murder; and if you revile a man, you revile the image of God. Do honour to your neighbour, and lo! You have honoured God. But if you would dishonour Him, inw rath assail your neighbour!
http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3707.htm

Last edited:
Oh man I just came back to see all of this stuff. Thanks a lot guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back