Roman Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sir_Knight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sir_Knight

Guest
what is the difference between a Roman Catholic and a non-Roman Catholic Catholic?
 
I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Byzantine Catholic. The Catholic Church is composed of 22 self-governing churches, one of whic is the Roman or Western or Latin Church. We are all in union with the Holy Father. Roman Catholics are called “Roman” because they follow the rites of Rome. We Byzantine Catholics are some times referred to as “Greek Catholics” because we follow the rites of Greece (Constantinople, to be exact.)
 
Building on Mike’s response.

We are also in full union with each other. Members of one rite can fully participate in services of the other rites.
 
ahhhh… it’s nice to see a little talk of unity for a change… most of these threads are spent tearing each other apart…

good question… and great answers… 👍
 
i am unsure but i belive we are up to 23 rites now, because there is a group of lutherans that recently reunited to the Church in nothern euope, and were allowed to practice their own rite but i may be wrong.
 
Mike C:
I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Byzantine Catholic. The Catholic Church is composed of 22 self-governing churches, one of whic is the Roman or Western or Latin Church. We are all in union with the Holy Father. Roman Catholics are called “Roman” because they follow the rites of Rome. We Byzantine Catholics are some times referred to as “Greek Catholics” because we follow the rites of Greece (Constantinople, to be exact.)
I think it should also be said that what we mean in communion with eachother is that we all are in agreement on faith and morals, whereas other supposed “communions” are not, i.e. the Anglican.
 
40.png
Brain:
i am unsure but i belive we are up to 23 rites now, because there is a group of lutherans that recently reunited to the Church in nothern euope, and were allowed to practice their own rite but i may be wrong.
Brain,

Actually, it’s 23 Churches sui iuris, including the Latin Church. Among them they use 7 Rites.

For a list of these, see

Catholic Churches sui iuris

and the 3 or 4 posts immediately following it.

As to a group conversion of Lutherans, I am not familiar with it and couldn’t find anything on it. If you have a link, I’d appreciate it. If this has happened, however, it would not result in a new “Rite”. What would result would be a “Usage”, as was granted to the Anglican parishes in the US that converted en masse in recent years.

Sir Knight,

As to the differences between Roman or Latin Catholics and those of the East, the differences are in: liturgical form; religious languages; spirituality in some respects; many externals such as religious art, vestments, church architecture; hierarchical structure; etc.

Either myself or any of my several Eastern brothers and sisters who post here will be happy to delve further into some of these, if you like. If you click on my name and select “all posts by Irish Melkite”, you can find several other threads on the Eastern Churches that have already covered some of these areas.

Many years,

Neil
 
Dear Friends,
I would like to share with you something that makes me not free.
I have a problem with my Boss in the office. He is a man of power who wnats to always keep me in his palm. And, honestly, I do not want to be treated like a child. I want to live as a mature person, and independent.

Dear Friends, how to be free from the eyes or caring of my boss?
how to be independent or mature person? and, honestly, sometimes, I could not easily to forget or forgive, so, how to forget the person who has wounded me?

thanks!

injo
 
Dear Friends,
I would like to share with you something that makes me not free.
I have a problem with my Boss in the office. He is a man of power who wnats to always keep me in his palm. And, honestly, I do not want to be treated like a child. I want to live as a mature person, and independent.

Dear Friends, how to be free from the eyes or caring of my boss?
how to be independent or mature person? and, honestly, sometimes, I could not easily to forget or forgive, so, how to forget the person who has wounded me?

thanks!

injo
Dear injo
Tough one if your boss gives you a hard time. You can’t say much and stay there. Why not try praying and offering sacrifices for him every day. It will help. You can also see this as your cross and offer it up. This is a sacrifice you make for God, your family, yourself and others. If you give this cross meaing and value it becomes much less of a burden. We are supposed to love our cross even if we don’t like it. It’s a gift from God. It’s not easy to do this often but it’s most pleasing to God when we make a sacrifice and accept our cross anyway.
Perhaps you can put yourself in a bible situation like St Catherine of Sienna use to do. You can be an apostle, your boss a leper that needs help, and so on with the others.
The way you cure this leper is with patience, love, prayers and sacrifices.
It’s good to see life and our spiritual life as a game sometimes too. Don’t take everything too serious. Or we might go nuts.
Hope this helps.
God bless you:)
 
Dear Friends,
I would like to share with you something that makes me not free.
I have a problem with my Boss in the office. He is a man of power who wnats to always keep me in his palm. And, honestly, I do not want to be treated like a child. I want to live as a mature person, and independent.

Dear Friends, how to be free from the eyes or caring of my boss?
how to be independent or mature person? and, honestly, sometimes, I could not easily to forget or forgive, so, how to forget the person who has wounded me?

thanks!

injo
May I ask what this has to do with the opening post?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top