T
thecone137
Guest
with context…
The Conflict of Two Natures
"14For we know that the Law is (Z)spiritual, but I am (AA)of flesh, (AB)sold (AC)into bondage to sin.
15For what I am doing, (AD)I do not understand; for I am not practicing (AE)what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with (AF)the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
**17So now, (AG)no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. **
18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my (AH)flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
19For (AI)the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
20But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, (AJ)I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
21I find then (AK)the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
22For I joyfully concur with the law of God in (AL)the inner man,
23but I see (AM)a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the (AN)law of my mind and making me a prisoner of (AO)the law of sin which is in my members.
24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from (AP)the body of this (AQ)death?
25(AR)Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh (AS)the law of sin. "
Could someone explain the plain meaning of this passage as it relates to justification as a sinner? I did read the joint doctrine on justification (article 4.4), so I am aware there seems to be an inclination to sin. When I read this passage however, it does not sound like an “inclination”. It sounds more like the Lutheran view, where we are still full of sin and at the same time washed clean of sin(from baptism). Any insights would be much appreciated.
God bless.
The Conflict of Two Natures
"14For we know that the Law is (Z)spiritual, but I am (AA)of flesh, (AB)sold (AC)into bondage to sin.
15For what I am doing, (AD)I do not understand; for I am not practicing (AE)what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with (AF)the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
**17So now, (AG)no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. **
18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my (AH)flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
19For (AI)the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
20But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, (AJ)I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
21I find then (AK)the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
22For I joyfully concur with the law of God in (AL)the inner man,
23but I see (AM)a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the (AN)law of my mind and making me a prisoner of (AO)the law of sin which is in my members.
24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from (AP)the body of this (AQ)death?
25(AR)Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh (AS)the law of sin. "
Could someone explain the plain meaning of this passage as it relates to justification as a sinner? I did read the joint doctrine on justification (article 4.4), so I am aware there seems to be an inclination to sin. When I read this passage however, it does not sound like an “inclination”. It sounds more like the Lutheran view, where we are still full of sin and at the same time washed clean of sin(from baptism). Any insights would be much appreciated.
God bless.