Rosary blessing

• Thread starter Thread starter Elliott
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Elliott

When my priest blesses items such as a crucifix or a rosary he says a very short blessing under his breath. I’ve had a rosary blessed at another church by another priest and the prayer was a little longer, from a book and intelligable. Is the short mumbled blessing for the rosary beads ok?

Thanks

Two stories that might indirectly answer your question.
A priest related to me and others, that he had just been ordained as a priest and assigned to a parish when a young boy approached him with a rosary to be blessed. The Priest said I did not want him to think that I mumbled some mumbo jumbo over his beads and something magical would happen so I asked him,“Do you know what will happen when I bless this rosary?” He said the boy looked at me with a ‘how did you get out of the seminary without knowing that’ look and said,“Yes. Jesus touches it and makes it holy.” The priest said they never taught me that in the seminary so I went and read the Beatitudes substituting ‘Touched is he who…’ for Blessed is he who… He said it was remarkable. They seemed to make more sense that way.

I took a statue of Jesus into the office at St. Joseph’s Oratory in Montreal to be blessed. There were people ahead of me and the priest doing the blessings was cordial, friendly, and efficient. His repetoire was small talk, quick bless this…in the name of etc. and on the person went. When my statue’s turn came the routine started similar to the others, but then suddenly the priest interrupted the blessing to turn to me and say in surprise,“This statue is not yours!” Then quickly correcting himself he continued,“Well of course it is yours. It belongs to you. But this statue is to be seen by many!” He then related how this statue was to be similar to a statue of the Blessed Mother his order had set out near the road near their monastery in India. Each day Hindu people would stop and touch the statue, so to be sure the people were not being misled to believe that touching the statue was “good luck” the Hindus were asked why they were touching the statue and they apparently replied to the effect that this was a very holy person worthy of reverencing.
The point of this story is that I believe God works through all priests even when they might not be in tune with the depth of the work He is doing.

I just bought new Rosary Beads and my Parish Priest blessed them with Holy Water, while praying over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back